none
WHS Remote Desktop Connection Hangs After Login RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a WHS and it has been working fine for the past year or so. I logged into WHS last week through Remote Desktop, no problems.

Tried to connect last night, and after entering Adminstrator details, the hourglass cursor is shown for 3 seconds, and then just returns to normal cursor. All that shown is the server desktop background, no desktop icons or taskbar is launched or shown. First impressions makes me believe explorer is not launching. I press ctrl+alt+end to bring up task manager. Explorer is not running. I can launch programs from here e.g. cmd, notepad, etc. But trying to launch explorer.exe just does nothing.

Home connector software works fine, shares works fine, wesbites are still running, i just cannot remote desktop into it. I can hardly find any information about this problem. There are posts like editing the hosts file etc, but this has not solved any of my issues.

Does it have some issues finding the connection source (the computer details im logging in from)?

My network is all wired through gigabit, my desktop also has a static IP. The only this that has changed in the last few days was that i changed ISPs and had to restart my router. Any ideas please.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:14 PM

Answers

• Personally I would opt for server reinstall. This will normally preserve al data in shares and the client backups, however you will need to reconfigure users, add client computers and redo all modications you did after your original install.

Alternatively if you can get to taskmanager you try:

1. File, New Task, type msconfig and hit enter.
    2. Now first from general tab select Selective Startup, uncheck all items except "use original boot.ini", reboot
    3. If this works, again open msconfig, now check 1 item (process system.ini) and reboot.
    4. This way you should be able to determine where the problem is located.
    5. If you found that disabling one of these items "fixed" the boot proces you can now use mconfig to selectively disable items on the appropriate tab. For the services tab first select "Hide All Microsoft Services".

Another option you can try is to run sfc /scannow to check integrity of essential system files. (you need to be logged on directly to the system to run this command)
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:15 PM

All replies

• killquazi said:

Hi,

I have a WHS and it has been working fine for the past year or so. I logged into WHS last week through Remote Desktop, no problems.

Tried to connect last night, and after entering Adminstrator details, the hourglass cursor is shown for 3 seconds, and then just returns to normal cursor. All that shown is the server desktop background, no desktop icons or taskbar is launched or shown. First impressions makes me believe explorer is not launching. I press ctrl+alt+end to bring up task manager. Explorer is not running. I can launch programs from here e.g. cmd, notepad, etc. But trying to launch explorer.exe just does nothing.

Home connector software works fine, shares works fine, wesbites are still running, i just cannot remote desktop into it. I can hardly find any information about this problem. There are posts like editing the hosts file etc, but this has not solved any of my issues.

Does it have some issues finding the connection source (the computer details im logging in from)?

My network is all wired through gigabit, my desktop also has a static IP. The only this that has changed in the last few days was that i changed ISPs and had to restart my router. Any ideas please.

First, logging into the server for any reason is unsupported.  Why do you need to login to it?  What apps have you installed on it?  Have you tried connecting a keyboard, mouse and monitor up to it and see if logon that way?
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Did you try to reboot your server (from the WHS console, or from taskmanager).

Any difference if you try Start, Run, type mstsc.exe / console (instead of mstsc.exe)?
    Friday, March 6, 2009 3:31 PM
  • killquazi said:

Hi,

Check RDP between two clients and verify that you do not see the same behavior. Also, double check that there is not an upgrade for the firmware in your router.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I am having a similar problem.  when I try to log in on either my laptop or my desktop, the WHS console comes up, but its just a blue background, no icons or anything else.  now when i try to log in via the internet, i have no problems.  just cant do it via my home computers, which is a pain.  any help?
    Friday, March 6, 2009 11:34 PM
  • poller1972 said:

I am having a similar problem.  when I try to log in on either my laptop or my desktop, the WHS console comes up, but its just a blue background, no icons or anything else.  now when i try to log in via the internet, i have no problems.  just cant do it via my home computers, which is a pain.  any help?

Hi,

Is this brand new behavior or did it start recently with an update or the installation of an add-in? Also, is this an HP MediaSmart and do you have their add-ins installed? (McAfee or PV-Connect)?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 6, 2009 11:54 PM
  • Hi,
    I have utorrent installed which i wanted to change setting to. I also have a java server with java websites which requires maintenance. That's why i need to login.

Firstly, 'mstsc.exe / console' command doesn't work...?

Secondly, someone suggested logging in and waiting for a couple of minutes, and then it will continue logging in. I've left it for two hours, and this doesn't work.

Thirdly, this is brand new behaviour. I have not installed any new add-ins, or new software. I do not run any virus protection since they cause more harm than good. Also, I do not know if it was a Windows update on my server that started this behavious because i cannot login to check.

Lastly, this is home built server with asus motherboard, quad-core intel cpu, 2gig ram, 3tb harddrives.

I haven't had too much time to do more debugging, but i will track down someone with a laptop and have them try them login through the network. I'll drag my screen, k/b and mouse over to see if i can login directly as well, but it has no video card which complicates things. I will also install a antivirus program, scan my desktop computer to see if this may be a problem also, although i doubt it.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

But if someone can solve this issue, there will be tons of happy people out there. No-one has been able to answer this particular problem that i've been able to find.

Thanks anyways, your help is much appreciated :)

Saturday, March 7, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Alrighty, frustration is starting to take hold...

I attempted the following:

• Upgraded router firmware
    • Installed latest server updates via console
    • Tried remote desktop from different computer
    • Scanned for any virusses (since i hardly every do)
    • Ran ipconfig /all on both client and server machines (everything looks normal)
    • Restarted server/router/client machines multiple times
    Sofar, nothing has changed my current problem...?

One item that i forgot to mention, which i should have, is that about a week ago i could not get a response from my server (it may have become self aware). I had to do a reset from the power button (ouch). 

I thought nothing of it since all accounts, shares and services were running after the power up, including the console. It was only recently that i found that remote desktop is problematic.

It's strange, after i login, userinit is displayed within the tasks manager and then disappears, as you would expect. The winlogon service remains, not sure if this is normal?

Please let me know of any suggestions as i would be keen to try them out. (I can access tasks manager on the server and launch several programs, but somewhat restrictive)

Thanks!
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

It has been awhile since my last update, i have simply been ignoring this problem in the hopes that it will magically fix itself, or if some genius would be able to reply with an answer.

The status sofar:

1. All my shares/connector software/websites/backup still work fine. All services running normally 24/7.
    2. I still cannot login remotely, it hangs.
    3. Using the connector software, I have ensured my WHS is installed with latest microsoft updates.
    4. I finally installed a video card and dragged k/b, mouse and screen over and to my surprise, cannot even login directly. I enter administrator details and same result as remote login, it simply accepts the password, attempts to login and then simply sits there. I can "ctrl-alt-delete" to restart/shutdown/launch new processes, but it will not continue logging in.
    5. This also happens when attempting to login using safe mode, etc, etc.

Please, any ideas what the problem may be or how to fix it? Why would WHS be accepting login credentials, and failing to launch explorer.exe? Even better, how do i repair it?

Thanks,

Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

It has been awhile since my last update, i have simply been ignoring this problem in the hopes that it will magically fix itself, or if some genius would be able to reply with an answer.

The status sofar:

1. All my shares/connector software/websites/backup still work fine. All services running normally 24/7.
    2. I still cannot login remotely, it hangs.
    3. Using the connector software, I have ensured my WHS is installed with latest microsoft updates.
    4. I finally installed a video card and dragged k/b, mouse and screen over and to my surprise, cannot even login directly. I enter administrator details and same result as remote login, it simply accepts the password, attempts to login and then simply sits there. I can "ctrl-alt-delete" to restart/shutdown/launch new processes, but it will not continue logging in.
    5. This also happens when attempting to login using safe mode, etc, etc.

Please, any ideas what the problem may be or how to fix it? Why would WHS be accepting login credentials, and failing to launch explorer.exe? Even better, how do i repair it?

Thanks,

If you can't even logon locally, I think your only viable option is Server Reinstallation.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Personally I would opt for server reinstall. This will normally preserve al data in shares and the client backups, however you will need to reconfigure users, add client computers and redo all modications you did after your original install.

Alternatively if you can get to taskmanager you try:

1. File, New Task, type msconfig and hit enter.
    2. Now first from general tab select Selective Startup, uncheck all items except "use original boot.ini", reboot
    3. If this works, again open msconfig, now check 1 item (process system.ini) and reboot.
    4. This way you should be able to determine where the problem is located.
    5. If you found that disabling one of these items "fixed" the boot proces you can now use mconfig to selectively disable items on the appropriate tab. For the services tab first select "Hide All Microsoft Services".

Another option you can try is to run sfc /scannow to check integrity of essential system files. (you need to be logged on directly to the system to run this command)
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:15 PM