Virus Protection will not turn on when selected RRS feed

• Question

•  

My OneCare has been working fine since recieving the Vista OS in about March (07). This morning, while the system was running, I recieved a popup window from OneCare asking me to accept or block CSXDPCQU.EXE ... It was from an unknown source, so I blocked it.

Within a few moments, the OneCare icon in the systray went red, so I opened the security center, and the virus and spyware/malware selectors were turned off. I selected the TURN ON NOW buttons, and after several tries, only the spyware/malware would turn on.

I opened the CHANGE SETTINGS link in the main OneCare window and selected the V'iruses ad Spyware' tab. In that window, the selection was set off, so I selected the ON rado button and selected APPLY. I closed the window, and still could not set the TURN ON NOW button in the security center, and whenI checked the settings again after selectig the 'Virus and Spyware' tab, i was again set to OFF.

I ran SPYBOT and it found a few minor things, including CSXDPCQU.EXE ... Still, I could not get the virus protection options in the OneCare security center to turn on. I also ran the full scan for virus/spyware and malware from OneCare, it found nothing.

Still, I'm not able to turn on the OneCare Virus protection and spyware monitor.

Short of reinstalling the OneCare, what are my options?

Thank you

Edward

Saturday, December 15, 2007 11:52 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

I should also add, that I went to the MSwebsite and tried running the repair tool, and it would not launch.

E

Saturday, December 15, 2007 11:54 PM
  •  

Addendum ... The LIVECARE settings returned to normal, and virus protection showsto be in the ON poition. But ... Yes but ... I believe it to be false because no I'm getting malware, pop ups, and all sorts of spam and ads showing up on my screen. After running spybot and virus scan, which detected numerous trackers, execuables, and registry entries, I ran it again after five hours and more stuff appeared.

So, I'm about three keystrokes away from formating and putting on XP.

E

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:31 PM
  • If you were infected while OneCare was running, please contact support to report this and for help in cleaning up the system. 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:48 PM
  • This behavior has happened to me recently, after working successfully for many months.  It still works on my second computer.  I haven't tried any of the suggestions above because they are rather old.  Is the repair tool still the best advice, and that website listed above, or is there more current advice available?

Again, my symptoms are the same as in the first post.   Virus and spyware monitor shows as turned off on main page.  Hitting the icon to turn it on has no effect.  Going to change settings, then turning it on appears to work, but after hitting apply, ok, then exiting the change settings page, if I go right back to it these features are turned off again.

'Thuse

PS:  I don't know if a system infection caused this problem.  Is there a way to confirm this by test, or are the symptoms I've observed evidence enough?

PPS:  My hub machine, which desn't have this pr0blem, has in ic0n 0n its W0C page t0 turn it f0r the )ther c)mputer.  When selected, it gets stuck 0n "in pr0gress" until the display is cl0sed, even when f0r many h0urs.  [0ne 0f my keys is br0ken, due t0 spilled iced tea, n0t this pr0blem.  Y0u may guess which )ne.]

• Edited by thuse Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:12 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Update:  It fixed itself.  I don't know how.  Best guess is I restarted it several times while fixing other things, and the "apply" takes place only on restart.  I'll close this request now until it happens again.  'Thuse
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:05 PM
  • I have been having the same problem.  I shut down nightly these days and each morning when I bring everything back up, the virus protection has turned itself off.  Pressing the "Turn On" button does nothing.  Changing the settings for virus protection and pressing apply does not seem to work.  I am going to try rebooting now.  This is really a problem and needs to be fixed by MS ASAP please.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:22 PM
  • If rebooting does not resolve the problem try the virus and spyware repair tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/0c3905ab-672e-41c4-9be8-8f0f1636f123 If the issue persists after running the repair tool please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:38 PM