Remote Connection Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Ok like others around here i have joined the beta very late only because I did not know WHS was this far along.

Now onto the problem I am trying to set up the website but the setup keeps failing. Below you will find a list of what all the router configuration has said and what i have tried.

OK - Verifying your router supports UPnP

Failed - Configuring your router

OK -  Verifying your website is available on your home server

OK Verifying Remote Access is available on your home server

Failed - Verifying your router is accepting Web site connections

Failed - Verifying your router is acceptiong Remote Access Connections

Failed - Verifying your netowrk configuration

Domain Name Details:

OK Verifying your internet connection to windows Live

OK Updating Windows Live Custom Domains

Failed Verifying your web site is accessible form the internet

Failed Verifying remote access is accessible from the internet

Failed verifying windows live custom domains record

I have tried to manually setup the 3 ports (80, 443, and 4125) in the port forwarding config of my router (router is a Linksys WRT54G) I have set those ports to forward to 192.168.1.75 which is the static IP I gave my server.

Now when reading some of the other messages left around this forum I did a IP address search and my IP address that my ISP gave me and is configured into my router is different then the one showing on a IP search. The one configured in my router is 63.77.10*.*** and the one being shown online is 208.110.7*.***. Is this my problem? When the IP search brings up the map of IP address location its set on my house on a map not the ISP's. Also should be noted that like granpa geek I to use a wireless internet setup as well since i live in a rural area and cannot get DSL. Also I can access the internet from WHS computer however one thing thats weird to me anyways is when i go to router admin page  from WHS nothing is clickable and the screen is missing all the text. now to take a series of questions from one message that i hope will help

Let's get through this together. I suddenly have lots of questions before I think we can make any progress.

1a. What make and model is your router? LinkSys WRT54G

1b. Can you access your router's configuration? Yes on any computer but the WHS ( Gets to admin page but no text is displayed just all the settings.

1c. what make and model is the modem (hardware provided by your ISP)? No Modem per say Got a Cat5e Cable that runs from ym Wireless antenna to the back of the linksys router.

2. Run both these links, is the IP the same: Yes IP address is the same but different from the one listed in my router config.

2a. http://www.checkmyip.com/

2b. http://www.mywanip.com/

3. Have you added ANY additional software or changed any settings after installing Windows Home Server? No

4. Can you acces the INTERNET with your home server? (you may need to make a remote dekstop connection to your sever and run internet expleror to check this). Yes

5. Has the status of the remote connection setting on the Home Server Console changed since your previous post? No

Ok hope this helps you all. since this post is already fairly long i will leave it at this.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:41 PM

Answers

• Based on this, I'm even more certain that your ISP is using a proxy server/NAT to manage network traffic. The IP address exposed to the world is the 208.x.y.z address (it's what moderators here see as your posting IP, for example), while your router thinks your IP address is the 63.a.b.c address. WHS remote access will be unable to work through multiple layers of NAT, unless every involved router is set to forward ports correctly. And there's just no real incentive for an ISP to do that for a residential customer.

I definitely think you need to give your ISP's tech support a call. They may not be able or willing to make this work for you, but they will at least be able to answer questions like "Why exactly does my router show one IP address, but web sites receive a different one?"

Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:11 AM

All replies

• If I had to guess, I would say that for some reason, your ISP is doing an additional layer of network address translation (NAT), except that both of the IPs you mention (208.A.B.C and 63.X.Y.Z) are routable, not (normally) part of a private network. Maybe the 208.A.B.C address is a proxy server?

Who is your network access provider? The 208.A.B.C ip address maps to Wholesale Internet in KC. Is that them?
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:47 PM
  • No my ISP is northmo. That wholesale internet may be who provides them with the backbone.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:00 PM
  • It's almost certain that Northmo is a reseller; your IP address (exposed to moderators in the forums) maps back to Wholesale Internet, as I said. (I suspect that Wholesale is also a reseller...)

Based on what I see on Northmo's web site, I'm pretty sure that your problems are because of the configuration of their network. (Not that I blame them; a wireless network like theirs has a lot less bandwidth to play around with.) I think if you want to use the WHS remote access features, you're going to have to switch to one of their business plans so you can get a static IP.

But before you do that, I would just call their technical support and have a conversation with them. Tell them what you want to do (you're testing a "home server" operating system with a remote access feature you'd like to try out), and why (the remote access feature allows family members to retrieve files such as homework from the home server while away from home, like at school, and store updated versions of those files back on the server). They may be willing to work with you a bit to get you a connection that will let you test this out. (After all, they will probably get more requests for this type of service in the future. Maybe they should figure out how to support it now. Smile )

If they aren't willing to help you out, well, that's when you ask about their business class services:

"If I buy one of your business plans, then am I allowed to run an externally accessible server like a mail or web server?"
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:42 PM
  • Well I hope I just made some progress. I wont know till I can get my brother to test it out which wont be until tomarrow. I have no clue what happened but I was playing around in the routers advanced routing section and not sure if I did something there but now even though the test in WHS are failing like they did before if I type in just the ip address or https://63.77.abc.def which is the IP address northmo gave me the Windows Home Server login page comes up and i am able to log in and it never did that before.

UPDATE: this did not work. while I can access it from my home network using the 63.77 address friends outside of my home network can not. Also my current IP address from them is a static. I didnt even know about the business plans until i went back to their site and upon looking at my email from them the business plas is a recent addition just added this week.

Also the "configuring your router"  line is now green instead of red but the others listed above are still in the same states.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:59 PM
  • Based on this, I'm even more certain that your ISP is using a proxy server/NAT to manage network traffic. The IP address exposed to the world is the 208.x.y.z address (it's what moderators here see as your posting IP, for example), while your router thinks your IP address is the 63.a.b.c address. WHS remote access will be unable to work through multiple layers of NAT, unless every involved router is set to forward ports correctly. And there's just no real incentive for an ISP to do that for a residential customer.

I definitely think you need to give your ISP's tech support a call. They may not be able or willing to make this work for you, but they will at least be able to answer questions like "Why exactly does my router show one IP address, but web sites receive a different one?"

Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:11 AM
  • Well thats what I am thinking as well so since my ISP such a small one they only work Monday-Friday and occasionally saturdays, I have sent them a email and I will also give them a call on Monday since it can take them up to 2 weeks to respond to emails. Thanks for your help and I will post back here if and when i find anything out.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Ok I got with my ISP and they said the reason i am having problems is that while my IP address is static it is not a public IP address hence why it shows my IP as 203. They said that I can get a public IP address by upgrading to a business plan. So I am in the process of getting switched to a business account. I want to thank you for assistance.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:44 PM