What do I need to be aware of if customer decides to downgrade SQL Server 2012 installation of CRM 2011 RU11 to SQL Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. Sorry for the little bit odd question but customer has implemented his Dev & Test environments of CRM 2011 RU11 with SQL Server 2012 but wants to put Production environment with SQL Server 2008 R2. I have tell him that this can bring some issues when passing from his test environment to the production one since db versions are not the same, but would like some advise in what needs to be done, if possible, to perform this or if I need to tell the customer to install SQL Server 2012 instead of SQL Server 2008 R2 in the production environment.

Thanks,

Guillermo Taylor F.
    IT Pro & Xbox gamer
    My blog

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:40 PM

Answers

• As my experience, you will not have issues on crm customizations if the production sql server version is different from the dev environment.
    But you need to check if there are some reports made with sql queries that are using new 2012 features (for example SEQUENCE)

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Normally, customizations are promoted from dev to production by exporting your solution package and importing it into production. So it doesn't matter what database version you are using.

However, it is very unusual to run different versions. It might make it difficult to troubleshoot issues later (for example, a performance issue related to the database). I would advise your customer to use the same database version in all environments. In this case, SQL Server 2008 R2.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:21 AM

All replies

• As my experience, you will not have issues on crm customizations if the production sql server version is different from the dev environment.
    But you need to check if there are some reports made with sql queries that are using new 2012 features (for example SEQUENCE)

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Normally, customizations are promoted from dev to production by exporting your solution package and importing it into production. So it doesn't matter what database version you are using.

However, it is very unusual to run different versions. It might make it difficult to troubleshoot issues later (for example, a performance issue related to the database). I would advise your customer to use the same database version in all environments. In this case, SQL Server 2008 R2.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Thanks Guido and Neil. I will take this suggestions and talk with my customer to decide what to do.

Best regards,

Guillermo Taylor F.
    IT Pro & Xbox gamer
    My blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:01 PM