Network engineer RRS feed

• Question

• Looking to train for a new career path looking at completing following courses.

Comptia A+,N+, Security.

Windows 2008 enterprise with relevant exams.

As i have no recent experience in this industry although plenty of recent home based computer experience, will this be a major factor in me being able to secure a job in this industry. Will lack of 2003 based training also be a problem.

Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:34 PM

Answers

• Keep in mind that much of what you'll learn about Server 2008 is backwards compatible with Server 2003....so, I wouldn't worry about not having any certifications on Server 2003.  Keep in mind that Server 2003 is now 8 years old, and many companies are starting to switch over to Server 2008.  Having training/knowledge/certification in the most current techologies will be of greater benefit.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, February 4, 2011 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:46 PM
    Answerer
  • If you train yourself on windows server 2008 there is no problem of lack of training of server 2003. you simply need to have software for windows server 2003.Installation, configuration, maintenace feautures are same . Server 2008 enterprise is more customised server client based operating system then server 2003 means more features i,e. enhaced security features and more more features of policies local policies and group policies and more services. 
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:11 PM

All replies

• Keep in mind that much of what you'll learn about Server 2008 is backwards compatible with Server 2003....so, I wouldn't worry about not having any certifications on Server 2003.  Keep in mind that Server 2003 is now 8 years old, and many companies are starting to switch over to Server 2008.  Having training/knowledge/certification in the most current techologies will be of greater benefit.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:46 PM
    Answerer
  • many thanks for the reply, take what you say on board, I am really concerned about my age "52" and lack of experience do you think these will be a major concern to employers.

I am uk based where are you based.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Your lack of experience is the biggest hurdle.  If you have no background in IT, that will definitely be a disadvantage.
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:00 PM
    Answerer
  • If you train yourself on windows server 2008 there is no problem of lack of training of server 2003. you simply need to have software for windows server 2003.Installation, configuration, maintenace feautures are same . Server 2008 enterprise is more customised server client based operating system then server 2003 means more features i,e. enhaced security features and more more features of policies local policies and group policies and more services. 
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:11 PM
  • I have NO Commercial experience in IT, but lots of Home based experience, do you think its worth pursuing this option or look for something else. Its very difficult to get an unbiased opinion over here as the only place to look is either training providers or recruitment agencies and obviously they all have there own agendas.

The last thing i want to do is to spend a lot of money and time doing all this training only to find no decent job offers or having to accept a very low level job.

Many Thanks,

Mark.

Friday, January 21, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Many Thanks for the reply,  I would like some advice based on my present skill set and age, Basically I have worked for many yrs with computers at HOME building, Repairing, upgrading etc.., I am 52 yrs old, I am at present working as a Truck Driver here in the UK but looking for a career change.

I have NO Commercial experience in IT, but lots of Home based experience, do you think its worth pursuing this option or look for something else. Its very difficult to get an unbiased opinion over here as the only place to look is either training providers or recruitment agencies and obviously they all have there own agendas.

The last thing I want to do is to spend a lot of money and time doing all this training only to find no decent job offers or having to accept a very low level job.

Many Thanks,

Mark.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:05 AM
  • You cannot vote on your own post

I have NO Commercial experience in IT, but lots of Home based experience, do you think its worth pursuing this option or look for something else. Its very difficult to get an unbiased opinion over here as the only place to look is either training providers or recruitment agencies and obviously they all have there own agendas.

The last thing i want to do is to spend a lot of money and time doing all this training only to find no decent job offers or having to accept a very low level job.

Many Thanks,

Mark.

Friday, January 21, 2011 2:17 AM
  • i'm in a similar position as you, but i'm 35...i have a+ and net+.. working on mcitp server admin cert. comptia stuff is very entry level. after sifting through ton's of job descriptions for network admin/engineer it seems to me i see more requests for people with msce/mcitp and/or ccna. can anyone tell me what happens to the mcse's that don't update to 2008 will they still find future work?
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:18 AM
  • thanks for the reply, do you think lack of experience is a major problem, I am just about to start training and dont want to waste my time and money.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 9:12 AM
  • lack of experience is a problem in any line of work. you got to make up for this lack of experience some how. that's why obtaining these certs are important for people like you and me.

Friday, January 21, 2011 2:55 PM