Laptop-notebook RRS feed

• Question

• I did a tune up on my lap top which is part of my one care circle.  I am trying to back up my files.  Is there a way I can go to my hub PC and back up files on my notebook?  If not, it asked me to back up files on a NTFS  What is this and where can I buy one?
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Saturday, August 29, 2009 12:32 PM (From:Live Mesh)
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:05 AM

Answers

• NTFS is the file system of the device One Care will back up to so you can ignore this message. See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to configure a backup plan for a One Care Circle - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943914
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:09 PM

All replies

• NTFS is the file system of the device One Care will back up to so you can ignore this message. See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to configure a backup plan for a One Care Circle - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943914
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Thank you for your response...when I have gone to make a network selection everything is invalid. Would you recommend a network location in which I can do backup for both computers at the same time?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:59 PM
  • The easiest way to set up Centralized backup is to attach an external USB drive to your desktop PC, set that up as a Hub PC in your Circle and then configure Centralized backup to that both PCs will use that drive as the destination. Note that the desktop Hub PC must be powered on to run backup on the notebook. The external drive must be formatted NTFS for this to work.
    If you wish to set up backup individually for each PC in the Circle, you can move the external drive from PC to PC as needed, though you'll need to schedule the backup to run when you have the drive attached to the appropriate PC. If you do a single PC backup (even for multiple PCs by moving the drive or using multiple external drives - one for each PC - the file system can be FAT32).
    If you wish to backup from one PC to another over the network, reserving space on the PCs for backups for each other, you can set this up using an unsupported workaround: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/22258a6a-3e94-4ac2-a3e7-b21683fb913c
    You will need to create a Share on the destination PC and set the permissions to share the location with all users with full rights. You then point the backup settings to \\PCName\Share where PC Name is the network name of the computer, and Share is the name of the shared location defined when you set it up.
    Personally, I'd go for a cheap external drive to do the backups if you wish to use OneCare to do the backups and set up Centralized backup.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, August 31, 2009 6:25 PM