BT Home Hub RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to configure the BT Home Hub for remote access.  Has anyone managed to do this with this very flakey router?  If so some assistance would be very much appreciated.

Mike

Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:32 PM

All replies

• Mike,

There have been a few posts re the Home Hub, what specifically are your problems?

The generality seems to be, that you need to forward the ports manually to the WHS, and then reserve an IP for the WHS as well.

Tell us what you've done and the results.

Colin

Saturday, April 5, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Hello Colin

I've tried my best to configure the hub manually.  I've created a new application and associated it with the server, I've forwarded the ports and the router configuration dialogue box (in WHS) confirms that the router has been manually configured. For some reason though it still doesn't pass the test for web access. I'm trying to check to see if port 80 is blocked by my ISP (BT) but it may be that I'm missing something. Is this enough for you to go on?  Do any other BT users know if port 80 is blocked?

Thanks

Mike

Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:51 PM
  • if i rememebr correctly BT dont block ports. but the Homecrap hub as i call it is about as much use as a chocolate teapot (too much data transfer and it'll freeze up, it usually reports download speeds about .5mb lower than whats acheiveable with other routers, etcetc) never the less i would try accessing or getting a mate to try accessing site remotly as WHS may not be able to check the ports as im 90% sure the homehub doesnt allow loopback addressing so trying to goto an address that points back at a computer on your local network will just send whs to the routers login page, - my netgear router does the same but the remote site does actualyl work

hope thats helpful
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 8:17 PM
  •  Mike Fish wrote:

Hello Colin

I've tried my best to configure the hub manually.  I've created a new application and associated it with the server, I've forwarded the ports and the router configuration dialogue box (in WHS) confirms that the router has been manually configured. For some reason though it still doesn't pass the test for web access. I'm trying to check to see if port 80 is blocked by my ISP (BT) but it may be that I'm missing something. Is this enough for you to go on?  Do any other BT users know if port 80 is blocked?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

I have a BT Home Hub and it works fine for me - BT are not blocking any ports.

The home hub wont allow automatic configuration which is a pain but manual configuration works fine. In fact for my book I actually walk through all the steps for confuring the home hub so I know it works.

What have you done, step by step, and we can see if anything is missing or different.

Andrew

Sunday, April 6, 2008 7:38 AM
  • Hello Andrew

I'll try to descibe how I've configured the router, but bear with me as I'm new to this and I find port forwarding a bit confusing.

Firstly I get the green tick on everything in the domain name details dialogue box with the exception of the line "verifying your web site is accessible from the internet" to which I get a cross.

In the hub under game and application sharing I've defined an application called "WHS" and assigned it to the WHS box's IP address.  However unlike the Xbox 360 when I put in the IP address it picked up the server name and this is displayed under device list rather than the IP address.  Below in red is the wording from the definition window of the application WHS from the hub.  Does it look right?

Game or Application Definition

A game or application is made of one or more TCP/UDP port ranges. Each incoming port range can be translated into a different internal (local network) port range. Port ranges can be statically assigned to devices or dynamically assigned using an outgoing trigger.

Protocol Port Range Translate To ... Trigger Protocol Trigger Port

TCP 80 - 80 80 - 80 - -

TCP 443 - 443 443 - 443 - -

TCP 4125 - 4125 4125 - 4125 - -

Any assistance would be very much appreciated especially as your appears to work, I'm disappointed that mine doesn't.

Mike

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:31 PM
  •  

Hi Mike

I think I may have a different version of the home hub than you, but heres what I did:

On the firewall settings, I chose add a new user-defined application, type in a name (WHS remote for example), did the port ranges 80 to 80, etc, left the application type as default, then clicked add definition.

I then chose the computer, clicked the allow individual applications radio button, highlighed WHS remote, clicked Add, then Done.

Mine then works.

Has someone from outside your network tried to access your box to see if its just a reporting error as often it will actually work!

Andrew

Sunday, April 6, 2008 3:35 PM
  •  

Hi Andrew

Software version is 6.2.6.E on the hub

I've reset the hub and reconfigured it.  I still get the same error.

So I went round to my neighbour and used his connection and it works perfectly

Thanks for your help and efforts on my behalf

Regards

Mike

Sunday, April 6, 2008 6:38 PM
  • glad its all working :-)

Andrew

Sunday, April 6, 2008 7:01 PM
  • So if I understand correctly, your BT Home Hub works on your neighbor's connection (who has the same ISP), but not yours? I'd say it's time to call your ISP. Smile
    Monday, April 7, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Hello Ken

Sorry no.  What I did (I think) is really mess my hub up trying to configure it.  So I reset it, configured it following Colin's and Andrew's advice and before doing anything else I went round to my neighbours to see if I could access the WHS from his connection to the internet and it worked.  It is still working well and I have tried it from work and various other places and it seems to be stable.  The reset seemed to screw up my wifi printer but thats another story :-)

Mike

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:11 AM
  • It's a pain when you think you've done everything right, and it still doesn't work!

Glad you've solved it; at least others know it can be done.

Colin

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Mike,

Like you I have been struggling with this useless BT Homehub Router, but thanks to the threads below is now (almost) fixed. Do you get the WHS reporting that your router does not support Upnp ? It's enabled on the router but still comes up as a cross in the router config details window.

Cheers,

Steve.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:21 AM
  • Hello Steve

Yes I think from reading advice elsewhere that the Hubs Upnp is a kind of half way house.  So with the help from this forum I manually configured it.  It now works for https but not http.  I'm still trying to find out why but without success so far.  The only reason I keep it is because I have BT Vision which is excellent, if it weren't for that I'd have switched to one of the routers known to work well with WHS.

Hope you get sorted.

Mike

Thursday, May 8, 2008 9:15 PM