none
Capabilities of Windows HPC Server OS

Question

•  I think I understand the basic concepts of what the HPC server OS is made for, but before I shift my time into studying further, I have a simple question for the forum.

It is my understanding that this server os can create an environment where I am able to link, bond, enslave, or otherwise control a number of oldish pc machines via a newish server machine, and then configure the old machines so they act as either one logical or one virtual machine.
    Example:
    *Dell Generic Entry Machine x10
    *Pentium 4 CPU (Single Core) @ 2.6 GHz x10
    *Generic Entry RAM 2GB x10
    *Generic IDE HD 60 GB x10

Server OS (HPC Windows Server) then links/bonds all that equipment through software to create a new machine with specs approximately:
    *CPU with Six or Eight Cores (with unused remaining cpu's reserved for failover) @ 2.6GHz - 3.6GHz
    *16GB RAM (with unused remaining RAM reserved for failover)

*150GB-300GB IDE HD (This is probably the easiest task - Windows Server 2012 implements a sharp software disk array feature with Storage Spaces)

I really appreciate all those who read this question and offer to illuminate my understanding with feedback.  Even a quick "yes, this is what HPC Server OS is for" or a "No, you've got the wrong idea" will greatly help me.

Regards 

Sunday, September 2, 2012 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi.

What you mean is heterogeneous cluster consists of machines of different hardware "aboard". As i understand you want to create a cluster and then submit some task? If yes then you have to plan to study some of parallel programming paradigms, for example, MPI, if you want your application to run in parallel. Please take a note that all nodes have to have identical OS or installed HPC Pack.

Please ask if something is not clear.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:53 AM
  • As i understand you want to create a cluster and then submit some task?

Mr. Belotserkovskiy:

Thank you so much for your reply.  I understand the challenges of reading countless forum posts and trying to decide which one merits an investment of time with a reply.

Your reply was really encouraging, however, you also used a phrase (that I quoted in my response) that had, at the start of my HPC research, led me to post my original question in this thread!

I don't have a singular task to compute like discovering the next prime number or something of the like.

My end-goal, or the reason I want to combine several older machines, is to design a high performance server that is able to facilitate all the Server Roles and Server Features (such as AD DS, DNS, IPAM, Application Server, etc...) of Windows Server 2012.

Currently, we are able to achieve this end-goal with a few sub-standard server machines running Hyper-V, but the number of virtual machines needed to carry the load is considerable (for me).

I completely understand that there are no shortcuts when it comes to advanced computer science, and that I will need to study a great deal more in order to move forward with my idea.  But is it possible??  Or is HPC more for the prime number type of audience?

Thanking you in advance,

Ethan Case

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:39 PM