CAL licences RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anywhere I can download the CD that holds the software to run a CAL installation.

I have a legitimate copy of home server 2011 64bit installed on my HP microserver but I have lost the CD for CAL installation. I have it installed on my windows 7 64bit ultimate machine, but I need to install it now on my windows 7 professional 64bit machine but after a busy christmas I can't find the disk and fear it has been thrown away.

I don't remember using any licence key when using hte CAL disk as surely it takes it's information from the home server?  and I was expecting somewhere on the MS website it would say click here to install the CAL software?

Anyone have suggestions that don't include forking out anothe rload of cash on a full licence.

EDIt

I should add I still have the original server install disk and the OEM preinstallation disk.

• Edited by alistair M Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:13 AM extra info
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:03 AM

All replies

• On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 00:03:12 +0000, alistair M wrote:

Is there anywhere I can download the CD that holds the software to run a CAL installation.

I have a legitimate copy of home server 2011 64bit installed on my HP microserver but I have lost the CD for CAL installation. I have it installed on my windows 7 64bit ultimate machine, but I need to install it now on my windows 7 professional 64bit machine but after a busy christmas I can't find the disk and fear it has been thrown away.

I don't remember using any licence key when using hte CAL disk as surely it takes it's information from the home server?? and I was expecting somewhere on the MS website it would say click here to install the CAL software?

Sorry but I haven't got a clue as to what you're referring to here. If you
    simply want to add another computer to your Windows Home Server, then open
    a browser on that computer and go to http://server/connect where server is
    the name of your WHS2011 server.

You only ever need a product key to install the server. Once that is done
    you can add up to 10 clients using the method above.

CAL normally represents Client Access License and with WHS you have 10
    already there is no such thing as a CD that "runs a CAL installation".

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    You had mail, but the super-user read it, and deleted it!

Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:25 AM
  • As Paul has said, there are no CALs. Instead, using a web browser go to http://server/connect (replace "server" with the name of your server). Install the connector software from there.

Note: This is documented in the online help.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thankyou for replying.

I got a CD it was black print with white writing and CAL in huge letters, when I put it into the machine it installed something, I presume the same as the /connect link you provided. It came with my nice shiny new home server software.

I am however rather concerned and will take a look as to just what it did install.

Anyway I shall take your advice and put the link in. I don't have ten machines and doubt I will get close to having them to be honest.

Thanks again.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:41 PM
  • I got a CD it was black print with white writing and CAL in huge letters

This doesn't sound like a genuine Microsoft disk; those normally have an edge-to-edge hologram. It sounds like someone made a copy of a disk, or downloaded a disk image they burned, and then sold that to you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:12 PM