Are backups duplicated RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen how shared folders (e.g. \\server\music ) can be duplicated, but what's the story with backups?  Surely it'd be foolish to hold these on a single spindle.  How are backups held?

cheers,

Ben

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:35 PM

Answers

• Ben,

Backups are not duplicated in Beta 2.  This may not be as foolish as you may think because the WHS backup is the second copy of a drive in a client machine.  To lose the client, two drives (a client and a server drive) have to fail. 

What is needed, in my opinion, is the ability to create a backup that can be taken offsite for disaster recovery.  We'll have to see what the next version holds in store.  (Nice pun if I say so myself.)

Murray

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:52 PM

All replies

• Ben,

Backups are not duplicated in Beta 2.  This may not be as foolish as you may think because the WHS backup is the second copy of a drive in a client machine.  To lose the client, two drives (a client and a server drive) have to fail. 

What is needed, in my opinion, is the ability to create a backup that can be taken offsite for disaster recovery.  We'll have to see what the next version holds in store.  (Nice pun if I say so myself.)

Murray

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:52 PM
  •  

I have submitted a suggestion to MS for something similar to what you would like to see. Please vote it up so that the devs see it as something we would all like to see.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=260111

Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:24 PM
  • Thanks... voted.

Ben

Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:32 AM
  • Hello Tom,

your idea is at a basic view very interesting, though I do not think that this is the right way to maintain an actuall offsite backup for reasons of a disaster revovery. Why?:  Lets take a small drive with about 100GB volume, lets say that it is used for about 50%. To backup this stuff you will need 50GB / 4.7GB for a single DVD = 10.6 peaces of DVD.

Believe me, as soon as there is manual interactivity included (changing the media) - your backups will allways be out of sync. Besides the costs for the medias and the time you have to monitor this extra manual process in above example I cutted it down to 50GB, what about an actual common and normal size of todays drives? Let's say 350GB used out of a 500GB drive = 350 / 4.7 = 74.4 peaces... ok ok let's use more expensive double sided DVD = 37.2 peaces. That in my sense to much needed user activity. A full backup for recovery must be a full automated reliable process without any needed manual activity.

Interesting would be a good user interface to fractional save some important data to write once media, but this could be done from client side to use a share for the source. For you backup I hopefully will be wrong, but I maintain about 1TB of datas inclusive online replicating, versioning  and historical archiving. So I guess I know what I am talking about. For my today pattern I use four additional 24/7 systems only with harddrives, no CD/DVD, no tape, no raid5. This works with suresync since years like a charme. If you are asking me why I am interested in MSHS.. well, good basic idea, special to rebuild a client with ease and maybe in future less working 24/7 systems, but with a possibly future change to MSHS I would have to overthink my complete robust and stable concept.

Back to the initial question from Ben: in my sense a duplication of backups is mandatory and a qualification for a good backup-system, though the backup at MSHS is a first copy of a client. A good backup solution has to locate the 200% marker even if we are talking about a product which is focusing the entry or SOHO market (low cost, easy usage).

Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:49 AM
  • I think this may analysis may not apply to the average user of WHS?

If (and it is "if") someone is using WHS in a true data / media server mode then it is unlikely that the client machine will be 100Gb?  Word,  Excel, and Powerpoint docs plus the OS/Apps will rarely push much beyond 50Gb?  And, say, if I'm carrying copies of media on my laptop to watch on the plane then it almost certainly is a copy of what's on WHS?  (though that doesn't stop it getting backed up, true)

And who is likely nowadays to backup to DVD?  I backup my 0.75 TB of data to 2 hard drives which I attach, either

• through a USB adapter (I no longer use caddies as such, just bare drives attached through the electronic parts of a caddy but without the box, Maplin in the UK sell such an adaptor), or
    • through an IDE attached removable caddy.

The drives go straight back in their static-proof bags and get stored away...

This is all done on the WHS itself.

So the real requirements boil down to:

• How would I perform such a disk to offline disk operation through the Console on a headless machine? (Remote Desktop?  Not exactly "one touch"?)
    • Can we suppress off line backups duplicating data which is already secure and duplicated on the WHS itself (e.g. example above of the copy of a movie to watch onplane...)

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:57 AM