hard disk won't defragment RRS feed

• Question

• Hard disk won't deragment during tune-up. Get message saying an unknown error prevented Tune-up from performing this task, try running tune-up again, if you continue to have problems contact support. Obviously running again didn't work.

Friday, May 2, 2008 11:09 PM

Answers

• You're probably going to need to run a chkdsk. Open Windows Explorer and right click on your Hard Drive. Select properties, then go to the tools tab. Click the error checking button and proceed. If it wants you to schedule a check at boot, agree to that option and reboot. CheckDisk with run before Windows loads completely. Once you have completed this and repaired errors found, try another Tune-up or a manual Defrag from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

-steve

Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:46 AM

All replies

• You're probably going to need to run a chkdsk. Open Windows Explorer and right click on your Hard Drive. Select properties, then go to the tools tab. Click the error checking button and proceed. If it wants you to schedule a check at boot, agree to that option and reboot. CheckDisk with run before Windows loads completely. Once you have completed this and repaired errors found, try another Tune-up or a manual Defrag from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

-steve

Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:46 AM
  • I also am having a problem with the disk defragment step of Tune-up.  I am getting the message "defragmentation partially completed.  Because of high levels of disk defragmentation, starred volumes (C: Drive in this instance) could not be completed in this Tune-up and are marked for defragmentation in later tune-ups.

The scheduled disk defragmenter in Windows Vista Home premium was scheduled and just ran on May 1st without any apparent problem.

Any idea why Tune-up defragmenter would not run?

Sunday, May 4, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Tandem, Defrag during tune-up is timed. That means that it runs "blindly" until time is up and if it hasn't passed over the entire partition during the allotted time, you'll get that statement on the Tune-up Report. Ignore it. Defrag is a constant process in that the file system is already fragmenting files as Defrag is running. Any application of defrag against the drive will already improve the state of the file system, even if it doesn't get all the way through it.

Note also that in Vista, Defrag is actually running in the background during idle time, too, so I would not worry about the report from tune-up.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Don't you think that it would be a good idea for Microsoft to fix their own product so it reports properly?????

Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:21 AM
  •  Zaner56 wrote:
    Don't you think that it would be a good idea for Microsoft to fix their own product so it reports properly?????

Most certainly. The reporting on this item in Tune-up makes me crazy.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Hello Stephen, at last! Glad I found this one as I ditto Tandem every time. Your answer to him answers me also. Thanks heaps - mine also says 50% etc., etc., as Tandem wrote. I know my c:\ drive is perfectly capable of defragmenting in full. OneCare is still the best a/v I've used. My favourite bit is that I get a weekly "bullying" to backup my files, which I can be very lazy with. Looks like I also need not worry about that report on the defrag bit, then:-)

Wish I could find the bit on here that says my question was answered. Where do I find it? Or is that only for the Thread Starter?

Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:49 PM
  • The "answer" link is only live for the person who started the thread and moderators. You can mark a post as Helpful, though.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Thanks, Steve! Nice to get that one cleared up.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:31 PM
  • I have tried manual defrag.  My error keeps coming up that I do not have enopugh disc space to defrag.  I have plenty of space on my C drive and even down loaded a bunch of files to an external hard drive to create more space but one care and defrag program still indicate that C drive has less than 10% space available and can not defrag.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:46 PM
  • I have tried manual defrag.  My error keeps coming up that I do not have enopugh disc space to defrag.  I have plenty of space on my C drive and even down loaded a bunch of files to an external hard drive to create more space but one care and defrag program still indicate that C drive has less than 10% space available and can not defrag.

What do you consider to be "plenty of space?"
    15% of the total drive space must be available for Defrag to function. So, if the drive has 100 Gigs of total space, 15 Gigs must be free or Defrag will fail.
    When you moved the files to the external drive, did you copy or move?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 6:14 PM