CRM 3.0 - Move development DB to production RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning everyone....
    We have two CRM installations - one is our production environment, and one is a recent install on another server just for development purposes. The two of these are different environments (one is running DB and WS on single machine, the other they're seperate machines), and different licenses (one retail, one msdn)
    My question is - now that our development copy is how we want it, can I create a backup of that DB and then restore it over the production DB? Is it that easy? Or will I run into problems because of serial numbers or different server names, etc...?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• Good evening :)

The redeployment process is quite easy - for CRM 3.0 please follow this kb: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/917948. There won't be any issues with the serial numbers or anything, if you follow the process. During the process, you will move the databases from one machine to the other, as well as you will reconfigure CRM application to point to the right database. Do you have a web server on the production environment yet? If so, you already put the right license CRM key for the CRM produciton deployment. So, you don't need to do anything else.

I hope that helps,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    • Marked as answer by BigfootNick Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:50 PM

All replies

• Good evening :)

The redeployment process is quite easy - for CRM 3.0 please follow this kb: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/917948. There won't be any issues with the serial numbers or anything, if you follow the process. During the process, you will move the databases from one machine to the other, as well as you will reconfigure CRM application to point to the right database. Do you have a web server on the production environment yet? If so, you already put the right license CRM key for the CRM produciton deployment. So, you don't need to do anything else.

I hope that helps,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    • Marked as answer by BigfootNick Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:03 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Isn't the internet awesome... :)

Thanks Kuba! That looks like exactly what I've been searching for. I appreciate the help and hope I'll be able to return the favor some day.

-Nick
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:04 PM