Error when importing QIF files from Money 2000 Standard International versions to Money Plus Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I have used the QIF export import method to import all the accounts in a file ( Money 2000 Standard International version to Money Plus sunset), it was successful. There is only one base currency investment account in these imported accounts.

However, when I import another file using exactly the same method as above, from my Microsoft Money standard 2000 International Version to the Microsoft Plus Sunset version,  an error message appears : "Cannot be imported, Please confirm that you have the correct file".

This file contains many investment accounts in different currencies, could this be the cause of the error?

Also, there are 120 QIF files selected to import all at once, too many can't handle?

How do I resolve this issue?

Thank you and appreciate urgent help!

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:53 AM

All replies

• 1, With QIF accounts, the order of the day/month/year or month/day/year must correspond to the regional settings in Windows for both the export and import. If you are going between computers, that would also apply. If you would like to transfer from one format to another, that can be done by running a program/utility/application that will convert the QIF files from one way or the other. If you want such a program and cannot find one, let us know.

2. In Microsoft Money, a QIF file never contains more than one account. If it is an Investment account, where you also track cash, it takes 2 QIF files to contain the info: one for the investments, and one for the associated cash account. It sounds as if you have this handled.

If you want to do the QIF export/import, first export all accounts
    to Loose QIF files, one at a time.  I would suggest this: start the
    name of the QIF file for the investment accounts with an underscore
    (_), and start the name of QIF files for the cash accounts
    associated with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
    _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

3. When exporting accounts, you export the QIF files one at a time, but you normally import all at once to let Money understand the transfers. I don't know if anybody has tried 120 at once, however!  You could do these in batches, but select the accounts so that there are probably not any transfers between the batches.

4. Regarding multiple currencies, I have no experience with such QIF transfers. You are going to have to experiment, I think.

Friday, November 15, 2013 9:46 PM
  • QIF definitely does support multiple currencies BUT for Money to recognise the different currencies, the transactions in a currency that is not your default currency MUST have a rate tag. Additionally, since your file has multiple accounts, ideally you should have all the accounts in the QIF file already existent in Money (and adequately tagged in the QIF file) before importing into Money, else it will simply lug them onto the first investment account it comes accross. You have a couple of options to remedy your situation.

1. Split the accounts into separate QIF files then import these individually.

2. Convert your QIF to OFX (which is better at tagging accounts and handling multiple currencies). For this I recomend iCreateOFX Investment (which is free and unrestricted to try for 30 days). It can read your QIF (and CSV) investment files and convert them to OFX.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:40 PM
  • It took me about half a year of research and work to convert my Money 2000 International version files into something useful. I was unable to import the qif files into Money Sunset, because Money Sunset doesn't have an import handler for multi-currency transactions. I found that ACE Money can do it and that their support is good, although I was not satisfied with their investment-related functionalities. In the end I bought Quicken 2014, and used ImportQIF from http://www.QuicknPerlWiz.com to load the qif files into Quicken. My lessons learnt were:

- Before exporting the qif files from MS Money, make sure the account names do not contain special characters like : ] [ / I ^ € or foreign letters like ä ö ü etc

- In Quicken you need to set up the accounts before importing. The account names in MS Money must match exactly the account names in Quicken for the import to work. Better also set up securities before importing if they are not in your base currency

- Quicken cannot deal with non-US date format in qif files, which is why I got ImportQIF to help. Quicken generally doesn't support qif import for many account types, but ImportQIF got around those problems

- Split transactions can cause problems during import. Better import the qif files first in which the split transactions are originated

• Edited by AngelinaO Tuesday, June 3, 2014 1:26 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:58 AM