Multiple sets of folder groups for different computer backups RRS feed

• Question

• When I open SyncToy 2.1 I have several sets of folder pairs listed to backup various data to a second computer on the network.  So to back up that set I select "All Folders" and it works fine.  But then I want to back up a different set of multiple folder pairs to a third computer on the network.  Under "File" I do not see an option to select which group of folder sets I want to use nor do I see a way to lump all the folders for the backup to one computer together.  How do I group multiple sets of folder pairs together so that I can do the backup for the multiple folder pairs for that group only?  Or how do I open SyncToy with a different set of folder pairs?
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:27 AM

All replies

• Good question. I asked a similar question myself a day or two ago and while a number of members have viewed my question, there haven't been any suggestions. I would have hoped that a Microsoft Guru knowledgeable in this unsupported software would have stumbled on our plight and helped out. Oh well...
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Have you tried to create a Task Scheduler task to run individual sync folders? You can use the command line to pass the defined folder pair. It appears there is no support to make sync sets on the fly from the command line but you can premake as many as you like ahead of time.

I'm not aware of a way to allow more than one running instance of SyncToy. Task Scheduler can have multiple tasks so you could run Folder1, then folder 2 back to back from one task. Adding multiple tasks with multiple sets would allow an almost unlimited schedule. You could then add an "on demand" option and just launch the task that has the sets of Syncs you need to perform.

The only restriction is you would need to make the task before you can schedule it and you need to make the folder pairs in SyncToy ahead of time.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:01 PM