onecare back up RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I have a onecare circle with my computer as the hub, the other computer is not at my house but at my daughters. My circle shows their computer online but I am unable to backup their computer to my central usb Lacie 500gb external hard drive. I have gone through all the back up details that onecare suggests including firewall settings but I keep getting the error message central device not found on my daughters computer. Also I am unable to back up their computer from the hub. My computer backs up no problem. Am I trying to do something that can't be done? I am not very computer illiterate so please be gentle!! I have contacted Microsoft but no one replied. Many thanks. John
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:41 AM

Answers

• You can't backup a remote PC over the Internet. Even though her PC is part of your Circle, by virtue of the fact that it is activated with your subscription LiveID, centralized backup can only be performed for PCs on the same local network. She will need an external drive or CD/DVD to backup locally and can't use Centralized backup.

By the way, you are not computer illiterate, since you have configured backup fine for your PC!

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:39 PM

All replies

• You can't backup a remote PC over the Internet. Even though her PC is part of your Circle, by virtue of the fact that it is activated with your subscription LiveID, centralized backup can only be performed for PCs on the same local network. She will need an external drive or CD/DVD to backup locally and can't use Centralized backup.

By the way, you are not computer illiterate, since you have configured backup fine for your PC!

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Hi Steve, many thanks for the reply to my problem, very much appreciated.

John.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:44 PM