none
Product Key does not appear to be valid

Question

• I am having trouble getting Windows Vista to Validate.  I am trying your steps of re-entering the product key.  I have multiple product keys.  All of which state that it appears the product key that I have entered is not a valid Microsoft Vista product key.  I received all of these product keys direct from Microsoft.  What am I doing wrong?
    Monday, January 08, 2007 10:16 PM

Answers

• Are you talking about activation? Validation does not ask for a product key.

Are you using the correct CD with the correct Product Key? You have to use an RTM CD with an RTM Product Key, for instance.

-phil

Monday, January 08, 2007 10:32 PM
  •  CClayGO wrote:
    I am using Windows Vista Enterprise.  I bought this from an OEM reseller.  I received two install keys with the disk then I received detailed instructions on how to change the licensing keys and then to re-enter my new key.  After doing so, my windows validated.  Then the next day it was no longer validated.  I am confused.  It now says my software is not genuine.  Did I buy a copied software?  How do I get this thing back up and running like it is supposed to be?

Please contact the seller of the Windows Vista Enterprise you purchased and demand a refund.  The Windows Vista Enterprise version is a "Volume License" which requires a special product activation technique.  Individuals should only purchase "Retail" or "OEM" versions of Windows Vista.  These versions will be available for purchase on January 30, 2007.

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 - FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/faq.mspx

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Step-By-Step Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Attributes
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact2.mspx

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:52 PM
    Answerer
  •  CClayGO wrote:
    I am using Windows Vista Enterprise.  I bought this from an OEM reseller.  I received two install keys with the disk then I received detailed instructions on how to change the licensing keys and then to re-enter my new key.  After doing so, my windows validated.  Then the next day it was no longer validated.  I am confused.  It now says my software is not genuine.  Did I buy a copied software?  How do I get this thing back up and running like it is supposed to be?

Clay:

Very likely the copy you are using is non-genuine. I would recommend reporting your reseller at http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx - do you have original media you purchased the PC with? You could probably submit a counterfeit report (which may qualify you for a free WGA Vista Kit when we release them).

-phil

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Hi vix-chix,

Can you tell me what problem you're experiencing?  I think the "disk" mentioned above is the installation disk that comes in the Vista box.

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:57 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about activation? Validation does not ask for a product key.

Are you using the correct CD with the correct Product Key? You have to use an RTM CD with an RTM Product Key, for instance.

-phil

Monday, January 08, 2007 10:32 PM
  • The install was fine, I was reading a prior post where they were getting a DNS not found error when activating.  I am getting the same error.  After reading the posts, they said to re-enter the product key in order for it to activate.  I tried doing that with two codes that I received with a CD and with two codes I received from the internet.  All of my codes say that the product key does not appear to be valid. 

In addition, I have step by step instructions to edit the registry to get it to activate.  However, the first step is to set permissions on a system folder.  When I try to set the permissions, everything is shaded and will not allow me to edit the permissions.  I am just trying to get this to activate.  The DNS name does not exist error is my major issue.  Now I am thinking it is something more.

Monday, January 08, 2007 10:39 PM
  • What version of Windows Vista are you trying to use..?
    Tuesday, January 09, 2007 3:23 AM
  • I am using Windows Vista Enterprise.  I bought this from an OEM reseller.  I received two install keys with the disk then I received detailed instructions on how to change the licensing keys and then to re-enter my new key.  After doing so, my windows validated.  Then the next day it was no longer validated.  I am confused.  It now says my software is not genuine.  Did I buy a copied software?  How do I get this thing back up and running like it is supposed to be?
    Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:43 PM
  •  CClayGO wrote:

Please contact the seller of the Windows Vista Enterprise you purchased and demand a refund.  The Windows Vista Enterprise version is a "Volume License" which requires a special product activation technique.  Individuals should only purchase "Retail" or "OEM" versions of Windows Vista.  These versions will be available for purchase on January 30, 2007.

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 - FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/faq.mspx

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Step-By-Step Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Attributes
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact2.mspx

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:52 PM
    Answerer
  • That is just great, I have bought a lot of software from this guy.  Anyway, I signed up for Microsoft Tech Net, how long does it take to get my id so I can sign on and download the correct version?
    Tuesday, January 09, 2007 6:05 PM
  • TechNet Subscription Frequently Asked Questions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ms772427.aspx#vl

For other questions regarding TechNet Subscriber Online Services, please feel free to  contact us.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 6:21 PM
    Answerer
  •  CClayGO wrote:

Clay:

Very likely the copy you are using is non-genuine. I would recommend reporting your reseller at http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx - do you have original media you purchased the PC with? You could probably submit a counterfeit report (which may qualify you for a free WGA Vista Kit when we release them).

-phil

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 7:25 PM
  • It makes me upset that these guys can get away with this stuff.  It seems so legitimate, but now I think he just downloaded the beta version, burned it to a cd, then sold it to me for $90.00.  I wanted this so I can be ahead of the game and make sure it will work on my systems, and I like to help microsoft with getting this stuff tested.  I just spent another $500 to work directly with microsoft.  I wish I would have known about the tech net sooner.
    Tuesday, January 09, 2007 7:33 PM
  • my product key does not appear to be valid but its the one that is on my computers certificate of authenticy
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 9:34 AM
  • Can you tell me what error code you're getting?  It will look something like 0xC0040000.  Thanks!
    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:38 PM
  • I posted this a while back, as I recall this was the error code at the time.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Sorry, I don't understand which error code you're referencing.  0xC0040000 is made up and is just supposed to show the format of an error code.  Are you still experiencing problems?  My post above is in response to wvgirl2please's post.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:35 PM
  • excuse me but what disk is that for someone who is not famillia with high-tech lingo..?
    Friday, March 23, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Hi vix-chix,

Can you tell me what problem you're experiencing?  I think the "disk" mentioned above is the installation disk that comes in the Vista box.

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:57 PM
  • well you just need to go to a computer store to see if it really is a valid COA and if it is ask them why it isn't valid.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 8:30 PM