Dyanamics CRM Permissions Question RRS feed

• Question

• We frequently work with subcontractors and I'd like to be able to give them very limited access to CRM.  I would like to assign them to a user group where they see:

ONLY projects they are a part of (we have a project entity).  But they would NOT be the owner of the project so somehow we'd have to assign them as a project participant?

ONLY activities assigned to or shared with them. 

And that's pretty much it.  Is setting up this type of limited access fairly easy?  I want to be able to set it up once and use it for all subs, since their permissions should generally be the same.

Thank You

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:53 PM

Answers

• Activities is easy, just give them User level access to activities which will let me see activities owned by them directly, or activities shared with them.

Projects is a bit more difficult; since you said the projects aren't actually owned by the subcontractors. You would need to either share projects with the subcontractors, or set up a team containing all the users that need access to that project, and then assign the project to the team.

To get the base permissions for the role, you can either take an existing role and strip that down to your liking, or you can check out this blog post which describes the minimum privileges required to access CRM and do basic functions: http://www.magnetismsolutions.co.nz/blog/11-08-11/General_Security_Role_for_Dynamics_CRM_2011.aspx. That also includes access to accounts and contacts which you may wish to restrict.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

• Proposed as answer by nrodri Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Feynman Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:02 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 5:54 AM

All replies

• Activities is easy, just give them User level access to activities which will let me see activities owned by them directly, or activities shared with them.

Projects is a bit more difficult; since you said the projects aren't actually owned by the subcontractors. You would need to either share projects with the subcontractors, or set up a team containing all the users that need access to that project, and then assign the project to the team.

To get the base permissions for the role, you can either take an existing role and strip that down to your liking, or you can check out this blog post which describes the minimum privileges required to access CRM and do basic functions: http://www.magnetismsolutions.co.nz/blog/11-08-11/General_Security_Role_for_Dynamics_CRM_2011.aspx. That also includes access to accounts and contacts which you may wish to restrict.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

• Proposed as answer by nrodri Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Feynman Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:02 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 5:54 AM
  • That article helps a lot, thank you.  I was experimenting with this yesterday, and eventually figured out that I need to have some of those options on the business management and customization tabs active, but that article really helps to clarify which ones.
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Paul, I followed your article precisely and was able to successfully set up a user with very limited rights, and gave them the ability to view activities they own, that works fine.  I also gave them the ability to view projects, and by sharing a project with them, they are then able to see the project I shared with them on the project list view.  However if they click on the project to open it, they get an "insufficient privileges" message.

Do you have any idea what else I need to enable for them to be able to open the project?  Screenshot attached.  I even gave FULL rights to EVERY item on the Custom Entity page below, but the user can still only see the project, but can't open it.  Thanks!

Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:57 PM