Grid Junction (Power Alert/Power Restore Events) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a separate UPS for the WHS (Acer EasyStore). I'm getting events occurring (~ 12 in the last two weeks) that are monitored/reported on Grid Junction and transferring to "Battery Power" on the CyberPower UPS (CP 550SL) for extremely short periods of time . These interruptions are typically 1-8 seconds and seem to occur almost exactly at 10:00 AM and 11:00 PM. They are not sensed / reported on the other UPS (APC 900 XS which carries the balance of the network). Although the UPS's are on different circuit breakers they are both on the same residential panel.

This sounds to me like a momentary voltage dip when the local power utility adds/ takes generators  off line. This is typically done late morning / late evening.

Has anybody else experienced this type of event??

Paul

Rec'd this response from "srr2" on dslreports.com re: these events:

You won't see generators coming off or online. What you will see are momentary glitches due to one of two things: a tap changer on the transformer in the substation that serves your distribution line and/or a tap change in an inline voltage regulator.

I see the same kind of thing you do, perhaps not at such precise times. About 6:30a one of the UPSs I have will momentarily switch to battery for a few seconds. That transient usually shows up too in any lights that happen to be on and dimmed at that time as a brief glitch. The other UPSs ignore it.

It's nothing to worry about.

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:02 PM WHS add-in question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    • Edited by boontonflyer Monday, September 28, 2009 6:59 AM Answer fm dslreports
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:51 AM

All replies

• Yes, depending on the UPS conditioning capabilities - brownout or possibly even device self-tests. If these get too anoying there is a brownout filter option in Grid Junction.

Hope this helps
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:43 AM