BSOD on backup with XP RRS feed

• Question

• Things have been operating normally since installing RC1.  No problems at all.  Yesterday I began recieving the BSOD code 0X80 every time my laptop (Dell Inspirion 9100) tries to backup to the server, manually or scheduled.  I replaced the keyboard about 2  weeks ago but I have not altered any other hardware.  It has been operating nomally after the keyboard change up until yesterday.  I have only installed the MS normal code updates (this is done automatically).  All other interaction with the server  is normal.  Research on this stop error indicates it is hardware related with the following definition,  NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE. 

I have another laptop and a desktop operating normally with the server.

I have run chkdsk and memtest with no change to stop code and no errors reported, respectively. 

I don't have a clue where  to start.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 6:26 PM

All replies

• NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE is a generic BSOD error that indicates a problem with the hardware, but one which the HAL wasn't able to identify. It's not a very helpful error; I think Microsoft normally just recommends you contact your ahrdware vendor for assistance.

One this that's always worth checking, especially since you've done some servicing of the machine recently, is to see if your memory is properly seated. And check any other connectors you have access to as well. It's possible that something wasn't plugged in firmly and has worked it's way loose.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 9:09 PM
  •  

thanks, Ken.

It is very puzzling, if there is some hardware issue, why it would only affect the BU operation to the WHS.

I have not gone back into the laptop to check the connections but there were only two involved in replacing the keyboard.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Try checking the resources and IRQ are not clashing.  IRQ 1 should be reserved for the keyboard but you do get other changes with PS2 shared interupts after a hardware change.

May be worth checking the BIOS settings as well as Windows

Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:51 PM