Push install for Client Connect Software RRS feed

• General discussion

• A nice feature would be a push install method for the Client Connect software.  Instead of sneaker netting to each machine in the house, add either the machine's name or IP to the server and the next time the machine is online, WHS pushes the software to it.  Sort of like an SMS client install.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:18 PM

All replies

• While this seems like a good idea, such things can all be used for remote code execution. My preference would to have a default public share on the WHS setup with a installer for the client. That way you woulden't have to walk around with a dvd and simply browse your network to the Server and install the software. I would expect that all or most of the computers in a household are networked in some way shape or form, which is generally the case in households with multiple computers.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:59 PM
  •  Lyme wrote:
    While this seems like a good idea, such things can all be used for remote code execution. My preference would to have a default public share on the WHS setup with a installer for the client. That way you woulden't have to walk around with a dvd and simply browse your network to the Server and install the software. I would expect that all or most of the computers in a household are networked in some way shape or form, which is generally the case in households with multiple computers.
    Have you checked the shares? You'll find a folder named "Home Server Connector Software" in the Software share.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:47 PM
  • I don't think you quite get what I was after here.  I'm not looking for an install method where I drop a WHS box on my network, it sniffs out all the computers on the network and installs the client.  What I was looking for is more like how SMS handles its client install.  I feed WHS proper credentials for installing software on my systems and give it a list of systems to install to, and it installs quietly in the background.  This kind of push install is used every day in enterprises, either with SMS, Radia or similar products.  If its good enough for enterprises, it should be able to fit in my home.  Besides, once installed WHS has a great deal of access to the system anyway, and with Vista, nothing can run in the background unless you say yes 4 to 5 times.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:10 AM