none
Some HDD related questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am going to install WHS on my new PC. Before I do that I just want to clarify some questions I have regarding the internal HDDs.

I have three HDDs to put in the server:
    • 1 TB Western Digital
    • 750 GB Samsung
    • 250 GB Samsung

As I understand, with Power Pack 1, WHS stores all data on the additional disks until necessary to save data on the primary disk, right? Would the 250GB disk be the best suited to be the primary disk in my case?

If I buy an additional 1TB HDD and want to replace my 250GB primary disk, how can I be sure nothing will be lost when I am reinstalling WHS?

Thanks in advance!

//Nicko

Monday, February 16, 2009 7:13 PM

Answers

• There is no way to force WHS to store specific data on a specific drive. If you want to replace your system disk at some point in the future, you would want to turn on duplcation for all shares, to prevent data loss there. Usually, the backup database is stored entirely off the system drive. However, if WHS has no other place to store components of the DB, some will potentially be on the system drive you're replacing. There's really no need to replace it unless it fails, though; WHS still uses the system drive for storage of "tombstones" and for the OS partition, but it's no longer really the "landing zone" it used to be. A small system drive won't limit the amount of data you can store in your shares, or the amount you can copy into them at one time.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by NickoMan Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:06 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Windows Home Server will not tell you where any of your data is, so no, you won't be warned that data is on your system drive. It will, however, warn you when you're about to run out of space entirely.

Given the distribution of space on your disks, it would be a safe bet that by the time your server reached ~200 GB of free space, at least some files or components of the backup database would be on your system disk.

I would say that, if you know that you will want to replace that smallest disk eventually, you should replace it now. Then install with the 750 GB disk as the system disk. Note: you can't directly choose the drive that WHS uses as the system disk. Your only control of this is to make sure that the disk you want as the system disk is the first disk the BIOS presents to the OS during installation. Normally, that would be SATA channel 0 (or 1, if your MB starts at 1) or the master drive on the primary IDE channel.

Monday, February 16, 2009 10:21 PM

All replies

• There is no way to force WHS to store specific data on a specific drive. If you want to replace your system disk at some point in the future, you would want to turn on duplcation for all shares, to prevent data loss there. Usually, the backup database is stored entirely off the system drive. However, if WHS has no other place to store components of the DB, some will potentially be on the system drive you're replacing. There's really no need to replace it unless it fails, though; WHS still uses the system drive for storage of "tombstones" and for the OS partition, but it's no longer really the "landing zone" it used to be. A small system drive won't limit the amount of data you can store in your shares, or the amount you can copy into them at one time.

Monday, February 16, 2009 8:49 PM
  • The reason for replacing the system disk in the future is that my chassi only can hold up to 3 HDDs. Otherwise I would only add the new disk.

Because I know that I will replace the 250GB disk, is it better to install the 1TB disk as system disk?

Also, when the additional disks are full, will I be notified by WHS that data is beginning to be saved on the system disk?
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Windows Home Server will not tell you where any of your data is, so no, you won't be warned that data is on your system drive. It will, however, warn you when you're about to run out of space entirely.

Given the distribution of space on your disks, it would be a safe bet that by the time your server reached ~200 GB of free space, at least some files or components of the backup database would be on your system disk.

I would say that, if you know that you will want to replace that smallest disk eventually, you should replace it now. Then install with the 750 GB disk as the system disk. Note: you can't directly choose the drive that WHS uses as the system disk. Your only control of this is to make sure that the disk you want as the system disk is the first disk the BIOS presents to the OS during installation. Normally, that would be SATA channel 0 (or 1, if your MB starts at 1) or the master drive on the primary IDE channel.

Monday, February 16, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Thanks Ken for your answers :)
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:07 PM