Failed Office 2003 validation RRS feed

• Question

• 5/29/07:
    Posted to MS forum: "Genuine Advantage Talkback" > Office Genuine Advantage Validation Issues

Here are my results from the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Are my copies of Windows and Office genuine?  Thanks in advance.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2CXKV-GMP22-HF2BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 25dG7mX6zCS/Ri0MYOSCvb3ct0w=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: bdaa114f-4ec8-4ec0-900b-999e41744b8e
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 3E121E02-154-80070002_E5ECEA81-80-80070002_B4D0AA8B-864-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>bdaa114f-4ec8-4ec0-900b-999e41744b8e</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HF2BQ</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-448539723-789336058-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Presario V5000 (EZ572UA#ABA)      </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.53</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20070110000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>36753A07018400DC</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>HP</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{903B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Project Professional 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>4D0F08D281E0E0A</Val><Hash>aV1cXvJ9WxrLKQAzs9VfiVXI5vA=</Hash><Pid>57058-336-5291576-16785</Pid><PidType>8</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57164</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 1:05 PM

Answers

• Mike,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information and posting on the thread. Diagnostic results help our team find resolutions. I have extracted a portion of your diagnostic results to review with you.

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with  operating system and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install   Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation Office Professional Edition 2003 of  is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. First, if this comes as a total surprise, please go back to where you purchased the software and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses. Second, if you purchased this copy of Office 2003 from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

The key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement.
    Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. Again, you may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office. Please review and follow the guidance @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine on how to become genuine.
    I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Mike,

Here is part two regarding your post. The installed copy of  Microsoft Project has received an error code of 101 (non-activation).  In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue.

Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.  Open My Computer located on your desktop:

1. Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:  Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

2. Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete”.
    3. This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    4. Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    5. If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng
    The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us
    Here you will find links for various resolutions which you may encounter. Also reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851. Please re-post here should you need further assistance.

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:17 PM
  • I tried this solution, and my office application said it is already validated.  The latest update to the email filter will not install, and actually locks up my computer for about 10 minutes every time I restart it.  It keeps trying to install it wil automatic updates, but is unsuccessful.  HELP!!!  Running Windows XP Pro with Office 2003.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Thanks for your replies.  There is no data.dat file in the folder that you mentioned, although I did find and delete a file called opa11.dat.  (It was later re-created automatically.)

But then when I closed Outlook 2003, re-launched it, and clicked on Help > Activate Product, it said the same thing as before: "This product has already been activated."

What else should I try?  Should I call the telephone number that you provided?

Thanks again.

Monday, June 4, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Mike,

The version of Office 2003 is a blocked volume licensing Key. The stand-alone product you have installed is not registered. I posted the following Also reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851. Please re-post here should you need further assistance.  You can open the KB article and locate a telephone number and activate the stand alone product this way. Please follow the guidance in my previous post regarding the blocked VLK status of Office 2003. In turn you may be eligible for a free copy of Office after you file a piracy report.  If I may be of further assistance please re-post.

thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 1:54 AM

All replies

• Mike,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information and posting on the thread. Diagnostic results help our team find resolutions. I have extracted a portion of your diagnostic results to review with you.

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with  operating system and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install   Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation Office Professional Edition 2003 of  is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. First, if this comes as a total surprise, please go back to where you purchased the software and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses. Second, if you purchased this copy of Office 2003 from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

The key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement.
    Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. Again, you may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office. Please review and follow the guidance @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine on how to become genuine.
    I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Mike,

Here is part two regarding your post. The installed copy of  Microsoft Project has received an error code of 101 (non-activation).  In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue.

Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.  Open My Computer located on your desktop:

1. Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:  Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

2. Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete”.
    3. This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    4. Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    5. If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng
    The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us
    Here you will find links for various resolutions which you may encounter. Also reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851. Please re-post here should you need further assistance.

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:17 PM
  • I tried this solution, and my office application said it is already validated.  The latest update to the email filter will not install, and actually locks up my computer for about 10 minutes every time I restart it.  It keeps trying to install it wil automatic updates, but is unsuccessful.  HELP!!!  Running Windows XP Pro with Office 2003.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Thanks for your replies.  There is no data.dat file in the folder that you mentioned, although I did find and delete a file called opa11.dat.  (It was later re-created automatically.)

But then when I closed Outlook 2003, re-launched it, and clicked on Help > Activate Product, it said the same thing as before: "This product has already been activated."

What else should I try?  Should I call the telephone number that you provided?

Thanks again.

Monday, June 4, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Mike,

The version of Office 2003 is a blocked volume licensing Key. The stand-alone product you have installed is not registered. I posted the following Also reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851. Please re-post here should you need further assistance.  You can open the KB article and locate a telephone number and activate the stand alone product this way. Please follow the guidance in my previous post regarding the blocked VLK status of Office 2003. In turn you may be eligible for a free copy of Office after you file a piracy report.  If I may be of further assistance please re-post.

thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 1:54 AM
  • Stephen, one question about your second reply to my note.  You said:
    "The installed copy of  Microsoft Project has received an error code of 101 (non-activation)."
    However, I don't have Project installed.  I had it installed at one point, but then I uninstalled it.  I think I uninstalled it before running the WGA diagnostic and sending you the results earlier this week, but it might have been after -- I'm not sure.  To be on the safe side, I re-ran the WGA diagnostic today and am posting the results below.  It no longer mentions Project and no longer says "Office Status: 101 Not Activated", but now it says "Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2", which is what you told me in your previous post.

Anyway, I called the Microsoft Activation Center and they said that I am not eligible for the complimentary replacement copy of Office, since I have no CDs or packaging.  (I purchased the product from soft4download.com back in June 2005, which has so far not returned the message I left for them on Wednesday.)  Am I completely out of luck here, or is there any way I can get Office Professional 2003 Service Pack 3 without buying it again?
    Even if they give me my $80 back (which seems unlikely), I would still like to avoid having to uninstall this copy of Office which was working perfectly well until this week.
    Also, even if money were no object, where can I buy a copy of Office 2003 that I can be confident is not counterfeit?  I need Office 2003 and not Office 2007 because I'm a software developerk, and almost all of my customers are on 2003, and I have to have the same version they're using.
    Thanks again for any additional help you can provide.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2CXKV-GMP22-HF2BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 25dG7mX6zCS/Ri0MYOSCvb3ct0w=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: bdaa114f-4ec8-4ec0-900b-999e41744b8e
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>bdaa114f-4ec8-4ec0-900b-999e41744b8e</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HF2BQ</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-448539723-789336058-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Presario V5000 (EZ572UA#ABA)      </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.53</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20070110000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>36753A07018400DC</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>HP</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57164</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>
    Friday, June 8, 2007 1:50 AM
  • Mike,

How have you been doing? Maybe I can share some information and point you in a right direction to resolve the concerns which have plagued you. Thank you for providing the new diag report. The first report did show MS Project. One of two things either you didnt uninstall prior running the first MGA as you indicated or maybe there was redidual left behind. Mike I see your concerns about using MS Office 2003 and not wanting to uninstall the current non-genuine version. Previously I mentioned to please uninstall this non-genuine version. You really don't know exactly what could have been encapsulated within the version you purchased. Problems or worse catastrophic failures can arise from using non-genuine software. Hope this makes sense. 

Your customers use MS Office 2003. Curious have you inquired if/when they expect the next upgrade will  occur? In turn purchasing and using MS Office 2003 could be cost prohibitive should your customers upgrade. Using MS Office 2007 would work. Automatically it saves the files differently but  you can save them say as a .doc for backwards compatibility. This would posture you for future upgrades. Please go to the following site:  http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=391&tabid=1&WT.mc_id=0207_09. This is windows marketplace. Here you can required software. Please click on the different versions and you will see Merchants where MS Office may be purchased. Please visit this site for product information about MS Office Suites 2007 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX100487411033.aspx?pid=CL100571081033. Maybe you can purchase MS Office from one of the companies who sell MS Office 2007 located @ the above link. 

Please take the time and submit a piracy report. This will prevent others such as you from becoming victims. The information was on my previous post. Hope this information has provided some help. Take care  and if you need more assistance please don't hesitate to re-post. Have a great weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 8, 2007 8:12 PM