Xbox 360 connections? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey... I've had Live OneCare for about 7 months... And I know somewhat about it, but like I see most people asking, is "WHERE CAN I FINE THE ON OFF BUTTON FOR MY SECURITY?!?!?!" I've been pulling my hair out, I have two PC's in my home. One is for buisness, and one for recreational use... But I also have an Xbox 360, and now that I have WEP Security on my Wirless Internet connections (Which my Xbox has Wireless on it) I can't connect with my Xbox 360 console, which is getting to be very agitating.

Someone please get me an answer QUICK :) I'm wasting money here! :p

Thank-you! Chris
    • Edited by ChrisBud Friday, February 20, 2009 3:20 AM Grammar
    Friday, February 20, 2009 3:16 AM

Answers

• You don't need to turn off your security, you need to configure the wireless security setting on the Xbox 360 wireless adapter to match what you allowed OneCare to do.

If you used OneCare to secure your wireless network, you need to open OneCare on the PC used to do this.

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:
    1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.
    Note

If you added a computer or a device to the network manually, read the instructions in the manufacturer's manual, or contact the manufacturer of the router for information about how to obtain the network name and network key.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 20, 2009 1:55 PM

All replies

• You don't need to turn off your security, you need to configure the wireless security setting on the Xbox 360 wireless adapter to match what you allowed OneCare to do.

If you used OneCare to secure your wireless network, you need to open OneCare on the PC used to do this.

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:
    1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.
    Note

If you added a computer or a device to the network manually, read the instructions in the manufacturer's manual, or contact the manufacturer of the router for information about how to obtain the network name and network key.

-steve

Friday, February 20, 2009 1:55 PM
  • When I follow your steps I can make it to my connection, but I can't use the "Details" button, it is ghosted... how can I get to the details other than this method?
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:47 PM
  • If the details button is ghosted, that means that you did not use OneCare *on that PC* to configure WiFi security. If you did it on another PC, you'll need to go there for the details.
    The alternative is to reset your router to defaults (check your manufacturer directions) and clear the security information for all PCs connecting to the router (not in OneCare, but the wireless connection settings).
    OneCare will then perhaps offer to configure it for you. You can follow the wizard and then write down the key for your Xbox or you can manually configure it per the router instructions.
    -steve
    Friday, February 20, 2009 6:57 PM