Unable to Boot from restored System Volume RRS feed

• Question

• While I sit here on hold with Microsoft, I was wondering if anyone has successfully restored his or her System Volume (C drive) from a WHS backup.

My C drive failed completely and I replaced it with a new identical drive (Raptor X 150 GB).  I then booted my pc from the pc restore cd that came with my WHS (HP475) and followed the on screen wizard.

Select machine to restore

Select backup

Format new drive

Restore backup to new drive

Click finish to reboot.

Then I am greeted with "BOOT DISK ERROR".  For whatever reason, even though the restore goes smoothly, the drive does not appear to be bootable.

One other item to note when the wizard asks you which machine to restore you are presented with two option buttons

(a) This machine "your machine name here"

(b) Another machine combo box

When I select option (a) and proceed to the select back up screen I do not see any of my backups listed but when I select option b, which is a dropdown box with my machine name listed twice, I see my backups.  I am wondering if this has anything to do with my situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:43 AM

Answers

• If restore CD finished without problem the new disk is probably not marked bootable. You can fix this by booting the recovery console / environment from your original install CD or DVD and then (for windows XP) run FIXBOOT or (for Vista)

run BootRec /FixBoot.

Also look at this thread: Recovered client computer won't boot. 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:13 AM

All replies

• If restore CD finished without problem the new disk is probably not marked bootable. You can fix this by booting the recovery console / environment from your original install CD or DVD and then (for windows XP) run FIXBOOT or (for Vista)

run BootRec /FixBoot.

Also look at this thread: Recovered client computer won't boot. 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:13 AM
  • brubber,

Thanks for the quick response, I will try this tonight once i get home.  I find it strange that there is no mention of this "final" step in the documentation and that WHS doesnt take care of this for you. 

Regards

John

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:30 AM
  •  

Sucess!!!

After the restore completed i just poped in my Vista CD, booted from that and ran the repair wizard.  Took only 2 seconds to complete, rebooted and i am back up and running.  I have to say other then not flagging the drive as bootable, WHS worked flawlessly.  I now feel safe having my backup stored there.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:19 PM