none
Deleted Posts RRS feed

• General discussion

• Apparently, some moderators are of the impression that when a post is deleted, the poster is sent an email with the reason, etc.

I have received no such emails for the few of my posts that were deleted, yet I do get the "Alert Me" emails.

In my opinion, it would be better anyway if the deleted post were replaced with a short message showing the poster, moderator, and reason.  For example,

Brian Borg's post was deleted by Arnie Rowland because it was Off-Topic.
    • Changed type Brian Borg Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:52 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:51 AM

All replies

• I would think that sort of conversation would be private, between a moderator and a user.

If it ends up in the forum, it will lead to other comments like "Post <x> is off topic too, why didn't the mods delete that? <rolling eyes>", "Wow, Arnie is strict, he's always deleting posts" or "OMG, what did Brian post??!!?!11".  (None of these are attacks on anyone here, just examples.  If I offended anyone, I'm sorry, and please use the "report as abuse" link)

But there's no private messaging system here now, so they can't go there :)  (I don't think there should be a PM system, but that's a topic covered in another thread)

I think the idea you mention of putting it in an email alert is better.
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Friday, December 4, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Mark, I see your point.  I also see that this quickly becomes a very complex issue.

We don't want to encourage rants, flames etc.  They have a tendency to fill up a thread and confuse the OP's issue.

I think everyone should have the right to reasonable anonyminity.  You should be able to withold your actual identity and email address from general view.

On the other hand, I believe in full disclosure.  It provides accountability and tends to keep people honest.

Possibly, individual posts could be moved to the Off-Topic Forum instead of being deleted.  Or a new forum could be created for that purpose.  The [X Deleted] line could be replacet with [Moved to Off-Topic], and the new thread could start with a reference to the original thread.  The poster of the deleted/moved item could provide any response there.

There would still be the vulgar, obscene, SPAM, etc. posts that need to be deleted.  In those cases, it would still be helpful for the reason to be shown, IMHO.  [SPAM post deleted], [Defamitory post deleted], etc.

Derosec, you made a good point about threads being locked with no reason given.  Here also, the moderator and the reason should be shown.

I think that all I am really asking is a little courtesy from the moderators.  When we see things happening without apparent reason, we can start to feel alienated.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Derosnec, what makes you think that I was responding to particular sentence?

Without quoting Mark's entire post, it is definitely out of context.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:19 PM
  • On the other hand, I believe in full disclosure.  It provides accountability and tends to keep people honest.

Possibly, individual posts could be moved to the Off-Topic Forum instead of being deleted.  Or a new forum could be created for that purpose.  The [X Deleted] line could be replacet with [Moved to Off-Topic], and the new thread could start with a reference to the original thread.  The poster of the deleted/moved item could provide any response there.

There would still be the vulgar, obscene, SPAM, etc. posts that need to be deleted.  In those cases, it would still be helpful for the reason to be shown, IMHO.  [SPAM post deleted], [Defamitory post deleted], etc.

I agree 100% on accountability.  I think you would get that to some degree with the emails you mentioned.  The person that had a post deleted would be notified and told which moderator performed that action.  Perhaps they're even required to select a reason (from a list).  In those emails, there could even be a way to appeal the decision (for anything other than SPAM).

I don't know how easy it is for the moderators to prune posts out of a discussion and drop them in another forum (I don't have mod/admin rights).  To me, that sounds like a lot of work for little benefit.  Most of the posts that I have seen deleted are because they were in violation of some rule.  In your experience, do you see posts being deleted just because they aren't related to the topic?

So for the placeholder tags you're talking about, what's the reason behind that?  I do not see the value in letting everyone else know that a post was removed for whatever reason.  But it sounds like you see a benefit, and I would like to understand your point of view.  The current system definitely sounds like it needs some improvements.

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:51 AM
  • I agree 100% on accountability.  I think you would get that to some degree with the emails you mentioned.  The person that had a post deleted would be notified and told which moderator performed that action.  Perhaps they're even required to select a reason (from a list).  In those emails, there could even be a way to appeal the decision (for anything other than SPAM).

I don't know how easy it is for the moderators to prune posts out of a discussion and drop them in another forum (I don't have mod/admin rights).  To me, that sounds like a lot of work for little benefit.  Most of the posts that I have seen deleted are because they were in violation of some rule.  In your experience, do you see posts being deleted just because they aren't related to the topic?

So for the placeholder tags you're talking about, what's the reason behind that?  I do not see the value in letting everyone else know that a post was removed for whatever reason.  But it sounds like you see a benefit, and I would like to understand your point of view.  The current system definitely sounds like it needs some improvements.

Thanks, Mark.

An email system could be sufficient if it worked.  The present one (if there actually is one) does not work.

I don't know either how much work it would be for a moderator to move a post.  I do know that moderators often merge forum threads when they think they are about the same topic.  This would be the opposite.  The FAQ talk about deleting threads or messages, but they only talk about moving threads, not individual messages.

I don't know the reasoning behind the placeholder tags.  In certain cases, it is obvious from following posts that something is missing.  So in those cases, they do provide marginal benefit.  Otherwise, they could be eliminated, especially for SPAM, etc.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Wow. I just looked at that thread, less than two hours ago.

Someone's got it in for you, derosneC.

No, actually I looked at Vista to 7 retail upgrade offer - Ebuyer not honouring offer: insist wrong version is the right one.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:47 AM
  • and could you tell us the reason why your posts were deleted.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:28 AM
  • Derosnec,

I do not appreciate the way you have hijacked my thread.

All your extra posts have confused the issue.

Don't get me wrong.  I often appreciate your posts as valid alternative opinions.

But when you start filling up someone else's thread, it is not polite.

Brian
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:52 PM
  • An email system could be sufficient if it worked.  The present one (if there actually is one) does not work.

I don't know either how much work it would be for a moderator to move a post.  I do know that moderators often merge forum threads when they think they are about the same topic.  This would be the opposite.  The FAQ talk about deleting threads or messages, but they only talk about moving threads, not individual messages.

I don't know the reasoning behind the placeholder tags.  In certain cases, it is obvious from following posts that something is missing.  So in those cases, they do provide marginal benefit.  Otherwise, they could be eliminated, especially for SPAM, etc.

I agree that it's odd that there's no notification provided in the current system.

It's probably easier to make a decision to move an entire thread.  Selectively pruning some posts out of a discussion and creating a new thread out of them sounds a lot more complicated.  You couldn't have the same clear cut rules on when a moderator should or should not do that.  I think if the posts are seen as "bad" enough to warrant removal from the existing thread, they should be deleted completely.  Let the person that posted them decide if a new thread should be started elsewhere (unless when the moderators delete the post, they let the user know that they broke a forum rule and the content should not be reposted).

If it's obvious that posts are missing, then isn't it also obvious what happened to them? ;)
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:57 AM
  • I agree 100% on accountability. I think you would get that to some degree with the emails you mentioned. The person that had a post deleted would be notified and told which moderator performed that action

If it's obvious that posts are missing, then isn't it also obvious what happened to them? ;)

I don't think it always obvious why.  Sometimes there are posts after the deleted one(s) that appear to be answering someone other than the OP.  Forcing them to be read out of context is not fair to that answering poster.  They, and other readers of the thread, deserve notification also, not just the one whose post was deleted.

We are taking up space with a one-line box just to show that a post was deleted.  Why not put some additional information there?

One line could provide both notification and accountability.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Try changing your Settings to Flat List View.

In that default viewing mode, there is no such one-line box.  There is no indication whatsoever that posts have been deleted.

Wow, I see what you mean.  I knew about the flat view and I have used it on occasion.  But never noticed the missing, deleted posts.

I prefer the threaded view.  With the flat view, it is also hard to tell the context sometimes.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Here is a good example of a deleted post making the following post confusing:

No Bruce. People who do viruses are vandals it's pure and simple and that parts not complicated at all. I refuse to take any responsibility for viruses at all. I have been around a lot longer than you have.

Dave, thank you.

Renee

From:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/6d733eea-c6ed-4599-8539-3d6cf1579f2a#8473a5c8-78fb-4696-ada0-2f80e5ece24f

Who is Bruce?
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:30 AM
  • From:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/6d733eea-c6ed-4599-8539-3d6cf1579f2a#8473a5c8-78fb-4696-ada0-2f80e5ece24f

Who is Bruce?
    I see the post that she is referring to.  It's earlier in the thread.  Do you not see any other posts from a user named Bruce in that thread?  I don't think there's anything special about my view. 

So in this case, even though the post is there, it looks like a confusing comment.  There's no rule that could ever be put in place to prevent something like this.  Some people quote the post they reply to, some don't.  Personal user preference there.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Ok Mark, I see it now.

I had not seen it when I scanned through the thread before and had assumed it was a reply to the deleted post immediately before (in threaded view).

There is also his answering post immediately after, which makes it apparent who he is.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:19 AM
  • Derosnec, those posts are to the point and welcome here.

I guess the point here is that with accountability, we might get a handle on some of the malicious censorship that has been going on.

And for some of the legitimate deletions, if we had notification it could provide for educating posters who make honest mistakes.  Although I fail to see the mistake in KarlX's post that was deleted in that thread.  But I guess we know who the censor was there.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:26 PM
  • exactly what is meant by

"violations of the code of conduct and trolling activity"

Beats the poop out of me.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:09 AM
  • here's two more for the three bean salad.   Developer Account Blocked - After 20 million downloads  and  Where has my thread gone?

Friday, January 15, 2010 11:28 AM