WINDOWS XP ACTIVATION ON GATEWAY/EMACHINES PC RRS feed

• Question

• I recently did a full system restore on my friend's eMachines T2865 with the restore discs supplied with the machine (accurately labeled RestoreCD Ver. 1.0 Model: T2865).  The version of Windows included with this model is Windows XP Home.  At the end of the restore, upon system reboot, I'm given the following dialog: "[Windows Product Activation] This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on.  Do you want to activate Windows now?"  If I click "No", I'm brought back to the Windows XP login screen.  If I click "Yes", the activation dialog box appears.

If I attempt to activate via the Internet, I'm instructed to setup an Internet connection, which fails (I found out this is because the Ethernet Controller did not install during the restore.  I entered Safe Mode, and attempted to use the only Ethernet driver included on disc 3 of the restore bundle.  Windows tells me it's not the correct driver, so I'm stuck there.).  So then, I attempted the telephone method - several times.  The Activation Rep tells me that my Activation ID is incorrect (the Activation ID is 9 groups of numbers, 6 digits to a group.  I'm missing the last 4 digits of the final group.).

So, I tried something myself.  I clicked "Change Product key".  I noticed the product key that displayed was NOT the product key on the Windows sticker on the back of the machine.  So, I changed the product key to match the back of the machine, and called the Activation line back.  Same exact problem.

So, finally I got transferred to a tech, then even a higher tech.  We tried many things, no success.  I have a case number.  I believe it is noteworthy to include that the tech did state that eMachines PCs WILL give an Activation ID that is missing the final 4 digits of the code, and also that the product key is encrypted on the motherboard of the unit.  However, this computer has never had any hardware changed or replaced.  I still have the problem.  Any ideas?

NOTE: Just a couple days ago, my boss gave me her Gateway to reimage.  She doesn't have the restore discs, so I used a Dell copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition, which is what her license is for (per the label on the side of the machine).  I installed the OS, and have the SAME issue.  Oy.  Two dead machines.  HELP!!!
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:29 AM

Answers

• Glad all worked out fine for you FD Walz Jr

Stephen :-)

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, April 24, 2009 10:08 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:59 PM

All replies

• Okay, got a fix to my problems:

EMACHINES PC (Win XP Home)

Rather than using the restore package nightmare, I reinstalled the OS using an HP (Hewlett-Packard) Windows XP Home disc (provided with my older HP laptop), and when activation time came, I changed the product key to the one on the sticker.  Then used the telephone activation option, and the Activation ID now came up complete with all the necessary digits.  Called the Microsoft activation line, and the automated attendant activated the machine successfully.  I'm throwing the restore package in the garbage where it belongs.

GATEWAY PC (Win XP Media Center Edition)

The Installation ID on the Gateway DID have all the necessary digits.  I made sure to change the product key to the one on the machine, and then called the Microsoft Activation Line.  It activated through the automated attendant without a hitch.

Both machines are A-OKAY.  Hope this helps somebody!!!!!!!!!!!
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Glad all worked out fine for you FD Walz Jr

Stephen :-)

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, April 24, 2009 10:08 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:59 PM