SyncToy keeps failing to external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an external hard drive (FAT32 format), which I used SyncToy to copy all the files to a network share, so I don't destory the original external hard drive sent to me.  Now what I need to do is have SyncToy Echo that data from the network share onto a new external hard drive, for a backup copy.  The Echo from the original usb drive to the server went great, but now when I do the Echo from the network share to the new external drive, it keeps giving me errors that it can't create the file on the new external hard drive.  The drive is a 1TB drive, and my data set is only 200GB of jpg's.  Any ideas what might be happening?

I thought maybe it was due to FAT32 and me originally trying to dump all the files into the root of the external drive, but i'm trying to dump them all into a folder that's at the root of the external hard drive, and got the same error.  Is SyncToy the problem, or maybe FAT32?  the original drive is FAT32, so I wouldn't think that the file system would be the problem.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:04 PM

Answers

• the problem was due to limitations of FAT32.  what i did was make three base folders on the root of the drive, then copied each hard drive into those folders.  but i ended up using rsync from a linux box instead of synctoy out of frustration. 
    • Marked as answer by RJO22 Friday, March 5, 2010 5:05 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:05 PM

All replies

• I put SyncToy in verbose mode and reran, then got the following error in a pop-up.

Exception during run: The directory or file cannot be created. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070052)

the log file had this

SYNC: 01/06/2010 12:41:31:478: *** Exception during run: {0} :
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncException: The directory or file cannot be created. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070052) ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070052): The directory or file cannot be created. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070052)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, ChangeDataAdapter callbackChangeDataAdapter, SyncDataConverter conflictDataConverter, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, ChangeDataAdapter callbackChangeDataAdapter, SyncDataConverter conflictDataConverter, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncDataConverter sourceConverter, SyncDataConverter destinationConverter, SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Sync()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.RunOnePair(SyncEngine syncEngine)
    SYNC: 01/06/2010 12:41:31:478: *** Exception during run: The directory or file cannot be created. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070052)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Hi -

To see what is happening - try moving the same files using Windows Explorer and seeing what error you got. Bing'ing for the error code brought up a lot of people having the same issue on USB drives. You can check and see if one of those solutions fixes your problem.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Friday, January 8, 2010 12:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RJO22 Friday, January 8, 2010 2:42 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 2:11 AM
  • I can copy and paste the files to my desktop no problem.  I have bing'd that error code, and most things say to uninstall synctoy 2.x because it is very problematic and go back to an older version.  Is that the case?  I'd think the newer version would work better?

when i try to copy to the external drive i get "Cannot create or replace FolderName: The directory or file cannot be created".  but the folder copies fine to my desktop.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 2:42 PM
  • A lot of my folders have similar names, all at most 20 characters long.  is it maybe having problems because it's trying to shorten long folder names in the background when it does the copy?

Friday, January 8, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Hi -

No the fact that they have similar names is not the problem. But you do say that when you try to copy to thre external drive you have an error. SyncToy is probably running into the same problem and error'ing out for that reason. You are going to have to figure out that problem before you can use SyncToy.

Thanks
    Deepa
    • Marked as answer by Deepa Choundappan Monday, January 18, 2010 6:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RJO22 Monday, January 18, 2010 9:58 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 6:51 PM
  • What do you think the problem is based on the log snippet?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:58 PM
  • HI -

Based on the log snippet - all I can tell you is that SyncToy is unable to create the folder and that it is a system error ( coming from Windows and not from the application itself). So I cannot help you figure out what the fix should be here.

Bing'ing for this error code seems to bring up the answer that you need to reformat your disk but I cannot claim that it will fix your error.

Thanks
    Deepa
    • Marked as answer by Deepa Choundappan Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by RJO22 Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:15 AM
  • I've already tried reformatting and trying a brand new identical drive altogether.  Do you think its because my external hard drive is formatted as FAT32 instead of NTFS?

I had it as FAT32 because I need it to go back and forth between XP, Mac OSX, and Linux boxes, and fat32 doesn't preserve permissions, which I dont want permissions on the files.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Hi -

I wish I could help you but I do not know the answer to why this would be failing on your external hard disk.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Thanks for trying.  Maybe as SyncToy gets updated, it could help clean up the error messages.  I have a feeling its not working because of so many folders and long file named jpg's in the folder I'm copying to, with it being FAT32.  since a lot of USB drives are FAT32, it be great if SyncToy could check for such issues before running rather than erroring out, maybe offer suggestions.  I think there are like 18,000 folders roughly going into this one folder, all containing multiple jpg's, some with longer names.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:58 PM
  • the problem was due to limitations of FAT32.  what i did was make three base folders on the root of the drive, then copied each hard drive into those folders.  but i ended up using rsync from a linux box instead of synctoy out of frustration. 
    • Marked as answer by RJO22 Friday, March 5, 2010 5:05 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 5:05 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. I tested it using Windows explorer and Windows 7 stops and says that I need administrator privilege before I can copy to the location on the external drive, which I think is causing my access denied issues. However, I do have administrator privileges and I also checked and made sure I have privileges as a user. This is a home PC running Windows 7.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:49 AM