Cannot complete windows validation process. RRS feed

• Question

• I restored a Windows 7 64 bit root disk after an SSD failure, and now I get a warning that the "windows software may not be genuine".  I go to the validation link, but I just get the 

"Windows validation in process" with the spinning green icon.  It never returns.  How can I proceed?

I have the validation key from the OEM, but don't know what to do.

-Mike

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:08 PM

Answers

• The fact that the MGADiag tool does not run  suggests that there are some sever problems with your system,

Please run a full CHKDSK and SFC scan....

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories

Right-click on the Command Prompt entry

Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up.

At the Command prompt, type

CHKDSK C: /R

and hit the Enter key.

You will be told that the drive is locked,

and the CHKDSK will run at he next boot - hit the Y key, press Enter, and then reboot.

The CHKDSK will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run, Windows should boot normally (possibly after a second auto-reboot) -

then run the SFC.

SFC -System File Checker - Instructions

Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up.

SFC /SCANNOW

and hit the Enter key

Wait for the scan to finish - make a note of any error messages - and then reboot.

Copy the CBS.log file created (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to your desktop (you can't manipulate it directly) and then compress the copy and upload it to your SkyDrive Public folder (http://skydrive.live.com ) and post a link to it so that I can take a look.

Post a new MGADiag report with details of any error messages encountered.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:08 PM

All replies

• Right,

Forgot to add:

I downloaded and ran the MGADT (1.9.0027.0) and when I click continue the tool hangs (get a "Not Responding") in task manager.

-Mike

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:15 PM
  • The fact that the MGADiag tool does not run  suggests that there are some sever problems with your system,

Please run a full CHKDSK and SFC scan....

CHKDSK C: /R

and hit the Enter key.

You will be told that the drive is locked,

and the CHKDSK will run at he next boot - hit the Y key, press Enter, and then reboot.

The CHKDSK will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run, Windows should boot normally (possibly after a second auto-reboot) -

then run the SFC.

SFC -System File Checker - Instructions

SFC /SCANNOW

and hit the Enter key

Wait for the scan to finish - make a note of any error messages - and then reboot.

Copy the CBS.log file created (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to your desktop (you can't manipulate it directly) and then compress the copy and upload it to your SkyDrive Public folder (http://skydrive.live.com ) and post a link to it so that I can take a look.

Post a new MGADiag report with details of any error messages encountered.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:08 PM