Reinstalling Windows 8 RT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm using Windows 8 RT Pro, and I have a physical copy of it. I want to reinstall it (as it is all cluttered and then upgrade to 8.1). But I'm not sure whether reinstalling will ask me for a new activation key and my old key will become invalid. I want to format my HDD during the installation process.

So, is it safe to reinstall on the same hardware after a complete format?

Friday, December 27, 2013 1:54 PM

All replies

• Suggest you find a more appropriate forum (answers.microsoft.com ?) as this is for Windows Home Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, December 27, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Follow procedure described here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Regards

Milos

Friday, December 27, 2013 6:11 PM
  • So, is it safe to reinstall on the same hardware after a complete format?

Yes, if you have a retail copy of Windows 8 Pro, you can do this.  If you have an OEM copy (one that came with a brand new PC), you should follow the procedure for recovery and reinstall provided by your PC maker.

However, there is no need to do a "complete format" and reinstall from scratch.  You should be fine to just use Windows 8's built in PC Refresh feature (preserving your user account, Metro apps, and data) prior to upgrading to Windows 8.1. 

If for some reason you need to use the built-in "Reinstall Windows" option, my advice is to first enable File History (using an external or network drive) and allow it to make a full backup of your data and Libraries before doing so.  Also, make sure the SkyDrive Sync is turned on for everything you care about. Then, when reinstalling, choose to restore the profile with the name of the original PC (if presented with one).  This will not only re-sync with your SkyDrive-saved settings, but also restore all of your data from your File History backup automatically.  (If you instead choose "set up as a new PC", you will have to restore your data manually from your File History backup drive.)

If you are adventurous, there is a way to do a "clean install" of Windows 8.1 from installation media using a temporary key, then use your Windows 8 Pro retail product key to activate it.  The procedure is unsupported, but the end result is valid per your product license.  Do a search if you want more details.  Again, I would not recommend this unless you have very specific reasons for attempting.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, December 30, 2013 3:24 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 3:14 PM