none
WHS not seen by 1 Win7, seen by other Win7 but was 2 days ago RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 computers running Windows 7 Professional N, both have SP1, and both have the media update. Both are on the same battery backup. I also have a Windows Home Server computer, version 5.2, SP2, build 3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.101019-0340, which is in another room and has its own battery backup. 2 days ago everything was working fine. I have not changed any settings, nor added any hardware nor added any software. This morning my computer cannot see the WHS. The other Win7 computer sees it. I can connect via remote desktop, and it shows up as a media device under computer; network; media devices. If I click on my music it also shows up there.  But when I click computer; network it does not show up. I have tried rebooting the server, along with the router, the other Win7 computer, and also my computer again. I went to programs, updates, and no updates show up for the last several days. I just noticed the WHS does not show up on my laptop (also Win7) and it did before.

The 2 Win7 computers are running Microsoft Security Essentials, and the WHS is running Clamwin, which is also up-to-date.

I also tried reinstalling using the WHS connector disk, and it found the server and downloaded the files and set up correctly, except still does not show up as a computer. Anybody have any suggestions?

Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:23 PM

Answers

• I check frequently to see if anything has happened on my computer, network. The server did not show up, so as usual I right clicked and chose refresh in the "computer" area and nothing new. I checked on the laptop and still no server. I clicked refresh again just now and the server showed up, so I went and checked on the laptop and the server shows up there, too now. So the problem is solved, but I do not know the reason.
    • Marked as answer by scopeguy Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:24 PM

All replies

• Few questions...

Are you using a Static IP address on the server?

Can you ping the server from the computers that can't see it?

Have you tried accessing the server shares by IP address, instead of server name?   \\192.168.1.xx\Software

Monday, April 11, 2011 2:38 PM
  • No, I am not using a static address. Yes, I can ping my server at 192.168.1.103, and yes I can map a network drive to the server. It just doesn't show up in my network like it used to. Thanks for assisting me.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 3:19 PM
  • So really the problem is that it just isn't remembering that you've connected to that server before...  

If you connect manually to it, does it prompt you to enter the user name and password, or does it remember them?  (I'm wondering if the problem is actually that Windows 7 isn't remembering the credentials.)

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I don't know why my reply did not show up yesterday...However I connect now, it does not ask me for my password. I can get there every way suggested so far, it just doesn't show up like it used to. It's almost like it is a hidden system file in the network folder. (Remember, 2 of my 3 Win7 computers have this problem all of a sudden. On the the 3rd one the server shows up like it should.) I'm thinking of downloading the new version of Windows Home Server, but want to be sure and get this resolved before. This morning I checked and when I click "show hidden icons" bottom right corner, the network icon shows me "not connected to server" on all 3 computers. I rebooted the server and now it is back to the same 2 cannot see the server and the 3rd one sees it - but the icon on all 3 says "network healthy". I went into remote desktop on the server from my computer and the server sees all 3 computers.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:08 PM
  • I check frequently to see if anything has happened on my computer, network. The server did not show up, so as usual I right clicked and chose refresh in the "computer" area and nothing new. I checked on the laptop and still no server. I clicked refresh again just now and the server showed up, so I went and checked on the laptop and the server shows up there, too now. So the problem is solved, but I do not know the reason.
    • Marked as answer by scopeguy Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:24 PM