none
Quiet server or a cooled server RRS feed

• Question

• Ok at present, my server is quiet, and my 4 hdds are ranging in the 30C to about 35C is this an ok temp, they are apart in the server at present but obiously when I add more drives they are going to get hotter, so I want to know If I should sort out cooling now or wait till I add more drives, then add fans etc?
    HMG
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:53 AM

Answers

• Please consult the manufacturer's specifications for your drives. That will tell you whether they are operating within design parameters, or need additional cooling. Hint: Drives are typically rated to operate in ambient temperatures up to 50°-60°C at sea level, with case temperatures running (somewhat) higher.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:37 PM

All replies

• Please consult the manufacturer's specifications for your drives. That will tell you whether they are operating within design parameters, or need additional cooling. Hint: Drives are typically rated to operate in ambient temperatures up to 50°-60°C at sea level, with case temperatures running (somewhat) higher.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Add fans.  The hard drives are one part of what's inside the computer case.  Even if the drives can handle 50 to 60 degrees C, it doesn't mean the other components won't suffer from the additional heat.  The CPU,  memory, bridges on the motherboard will do better under cooler conditions.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:52 AM