none
Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

TO MICROSOFT AND HP,

I have purchased an HP PAVILLION DESK TOP PC with Windows Vista.

It is my first experience with Windows Vista and I could not believe that my old software would not work on it.

Specifically two games are my test for a friendly operating system,

Hasbro (Windows 98)  Axis & Allies Iron Blitz

AND

Atari      (Window XP)   Axis & Allies

The first game crashed after a short start to the game and graphics had major problems.

The second game, a Windows XP newer game, would not load at all

I then tried to downgrade to a newly purchased $200.00 copy of Windows XP and after many tries and consultation with at least two support centers I am now aware that that is impossible.

I enjoy two Windows XP machines and I will return this new Desk Top unless I hear that there is a fiendly fix for one of these problems:

1 - Most Window 98  and Windows XP software and game are forward compatable

OR

2 - I am able to migrate this new PC to Windows XP

I would appreciate a personal reply from Microsoft if possible.

Thank you,

Ricksa

Friday, August 31, 2007 2:39 AM

Answers

• Have you tried the compatibility options?  Right click the shortcut to one of your older games and go into the Properties tab.  You are able to specify an older version of Windows to run it in compatibility mode.

You may also have to check the "Run as Administrator" option because a lot of older software requires Administrator accounts.

Failing all of that, you can use Virtual PC to create 'pretend' computers running other versions of Windows.  These pretend computers run through software on your desktop and function exactly the same way as if they were installed the traditional way.  Virtual PC is a free download but you do need the Windows licenses for the operating systems you install:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

HP is not pursuing XP drivers on their newer computers.  Some models have an incomplete range of XP drivers available, you can check what's available for your computer through their Software and Driver Downloads page:
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=drivers

I would not hold my breath waiting for Microsoft to make backwards compatibiltiy as far back as Windows 98 a priority.  
    Friday, August 31, 2007 3:07 PM

All replies

• Friday, August 31, 2007 3:00 AM
  • Have you tried the compatibility options?  Right click the shortcut to one of your older games and go into the Properties tab.  You are able to specify an older version of Windows to run it in compatibility mode.

You may also have to check the "Run as Administrator" option because a lot of older software requires Administrator accounts.

Failing all of that, you can use Virtual PC to create 'pretend' computers running other versions of Windows.  These pretend computers run through software on your desktop and function exactly the same way as if they were installed the traditional way.  Virtual PC is a free download but you do need the Windows licenses for the operating systems you install:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

HP is not pursuing XP drivers on their newer computers.  Some models have an incomplete range of XP drivers available, you can check what's available for your computer through their Software and Driver Downloads page:
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=drivers

I would not hold my breath waiting for Microsoft to make backwards compatibiltiy as far back as Windows 98 a priority.  
    Friday, August 31, 2007 3:07 PM
  •  

Hi so did you ever get the game to work?

I bought a pc with vista & took it back but now i bought a new dell with windows xp like my old pc had xp too & neither axis & allies or the iron blitz version will startup Sad

makes no sense since it worked on my other pc runnin xp

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:04 AM
  • I got my version of Iron Blitz to work in XP but it took some work. First off, you will need to load it onto a Fat32 partition of your hard drive (assuming that your current hard drive is NTSF and not FAT 32). The program seems to do well in FAT 32. The next obstacle is your video card and or video driver. I found only one version of driver that it liked. All other versions of the driver would not allow for game play. I have an Nvidia video card. If you would like the model and specs of the video driver let me know. My biggest problem is knowing that my curent system is aging and so I am wondering how much longer I will be able to play Iron Blitz. I am contemplating pulling my computer off line and using it solely for Iron Blitz and buying a new system for everything else.

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:16 PM
  • This works for me in XP.

Start. Run. Type Dxdiag then press enter.
    Select the display tab then press the disable button next to DirectDraw Acceleration then exit.
    Start your game and see if it works.
    This may work on other older windows games.

Remember to re-enable DirectDraw when finished playing.

Maybe this will work in Vista too.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:01 PM