delay in accessing mapped shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am having delays in accessing mapped shared folders in wHS, Any help ???
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:59 PM

All replies

• Do you have any other servers on the network - or are you using other computers and sharing their folders?

--
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:49 AM
  • I have 3 computers connected to whs server sharing only the shared folder on the server
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:42 AM
  • And what OS are they running and additional software?  Maybe this KB applies to you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822219

Do you have oneCare installed? :
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarefirewall/thread/aa615ab9-f1be-4851-ac62-768f8dabb1b5

I think this is probably the most asked, least answered question relating to Windows Networking.  You should get yourself familar with Event Viewer on your clients first to see if there are any error messages or events that point at what the problem may be.

Also when you say "accessing mapped shared folders " do you mean mapped drives?   If you map one of the drives using the IP of the server rather than it's name does it open quicker?
    --
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Hi Al

I checked the event viewer, I only see a few warning under applications. event 9000 Cqvsvc.exe Event 9000. Also I do mean mapped drives.

Let me know please

Thank you
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:54 PM
  • No events on the clients?
    --
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:08 PM
  • No, this problem happens through out the day. Sometimes a few times and other times alot. I dont understand it.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Strange that there are no errors at all.  I'm half expecting to see some form of logging in failing and then falling back to a different protocol.  If you reboot your router does the problem go away?

Also you could try turning off IPV6 on your clients.
    --
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:24 PM
  • how do I shut off the IPV6 on the clients ??
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:44 PM
  • http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1I7GGLD_en&q=turning+off+ipv6+windows+7&meta=&aq=f&oq=

It might help, it might not - like I said before these problems have the least info available on them.
    --
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Can you define "delay"? Under what circumstances? Every time? "I'm having delays" doesn't give us much to go on, and I (at least) am usually not willing to just take a guess unless it's an obvious problem.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Hi AL

I used the IP address of the server and it seems to be working faster. So far today since I made the change there have been no delays.

Thank you for all your help

I hope it stays working

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Hi,
    maybe you have a name resolution problem, caused by wrong IP settings how some routers do deploy them.
    Explained in the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I noticed I'm having the same issue.

The PC I'm accessing the server shares is a Windows 7 machine.

1. The windows home server console always is slow to connect and sometimes says not responding before it eventually loads.

2. The similiar thing I am noticing is this: I have a shortcut on my desktop to take me to the network shares.  When I click on this, the window will open and I will get the spinning circle for about 5 seconds and then eventually the shares all pop up.  Navigation through the folders is quick and if I close the windows and then reopen the shortcut right away its fast.  If I wait a few minutes and then try the shortcut again, it takes around 5-10 seconds for it pop up the shares again.

I'm on a gigabit connection with the latest updates.

Here are the specs of the server:

AMD x2 4400+ 939 socket 2.2ghz

Asus A8N-SLI Premium  Nforce 4

2gb DDR 1 400mhz

EVGA Geforce 210 Passive Cooler

160gb WD Sata

200gb Seagate Sata

Saturday, September 11, 2010 5:22 AM
  • I resolved this issue on my own.

Assigning a static ip on my main pc makes the network shares come up and load instantly.

• Proposed as answer by FoRealz Monday, September 20, 2010 4:38 PM
    Monday, September 20, 2010 4:38 PM