Trouble using the restore CD RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem when I try to boot from the restore CD to do a full system restore.  The computer I am trying to restore is a Toshiba Satellite L355-S7902 with 3GB RAM running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have the computer connected to the network directly using an Ethernet cable.  After I boot from the restore CD when it gets to the step where it tries to locate the WHS, the system is not able to find the WHS even though I have copied the drivers to a USB memory stick and even gone through the advanced menu to have it scan the USB for the drivers.  The status screen shows that the drivers were loaded for the network card, but it never seems to turn the card on.

This laptop is currently bootable and will connect to the network just fine after normal booting.  Connecting to the WHS is also no problem using a normal boot.   It is only when booting from the restore CD that it will not connect.

I have WHS with most current updates and Power Pack 3.  I have done a complete system restore in the past on a different Toshiba laptop, so I know this process will work if I can connect to the WHS, so I am at a loss as to why it will not work on this particular laptop.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:44 PM

Answers

• I was experiencing this same problem: my wife's computer was running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  The nic went dead when booting from the restore CD using the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" drivers.  So I downloaded the "Windows XP(WinServer2003) Driver" from Realtek as instructed by Lara Jones.  The restore CD said "no drivers found."  So I downloaded the "Vista and WinServer 2008 Driver" and that one worked.  However, then my new hard drive didn't show up when selecting a destination to restore to (or in Disk Management).  I guessed (correctly) that I needed to download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager floppy driver.  So I downloaded the latest version (there are about 5 different 32-bit floppy drivers on Intel's download site) hoping that would work and it did.  So I am *finally* restoring her system.

But I have to say that I am shocked and appalled by how difficult it was for me to get to this point!  I am a longtime fan (not a fanboy!) of Microsoft and I've been impressed with Home Server up to this point.  I was almost ready to recommend it to my parents because it makes backing up multiple machines so easy and foolproof.  Or so I thought!  And there is just no reason it had to be this difficult!!  Why isn't there a 64-bit version of the restore CD??  Or if that's too difficult (and I can't imagine it would be), why doesn't the Home Server Connector client software warn us that "Hey!  You're running a 64-bit OS!  You'll need to obtain 64-bit drivers yourself!"  Or at the very least, in the "Read Me.txt" in the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder, why don't they point out that if these driver folders have "amd64" in their names, they won't work!!  It makes no mention whatsoever that there could be any problems at all!

If I wasn't a techie, there would be no way I could have restored her computer.  The backups would have been worthless.  My parents would never be able to figure out the problem, much less find the correct drivers and get them on a USB stick.

I am really shocked.  I am going to seriously rethink my opinion of WHS.

• Marked as answer by GeneWald Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:36 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:10 AM

All replies

• If your laptop is using a 64 bit operating system, you will need to obtain 32 bit drivers from the manufacturer and load those instead. If your laptop has a Realtek network interface, you should look at this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:55 PM
  • If you are trying to reinstall a 64-bit OS using the restore CD you need to download and copy the 32-bit drivers to the USB stick used for the drivers during recovery - this is because the restore CD is based on a 32-bit OS.
    --
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:00 PM
  • To add to what other said - Vista drivers are your best choice here, since the recovery CD is based on Windows PE.
    If you cannot get this to work and you have still a second client, you can also follow up the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Could you provider more information about your issue?

1.what's the model of your network card? 
    2.Is your laptop connected to a router?
    3."never seems to turn the card on" does it mean the light of network card does not blink?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:20 AM
  • I was experiencing this same problem: my wife's computer was running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  The nic went dead when booting from the restore CD using the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" drivers.  So I downloaded the "Windows XP(WinServer2003) Driver" from Realtek as instructed by Lara Jones.  The restore CD said "no drivers found."  So I downloaded the "Vista and WinServer 2008 Driver" and that one worked.  However, then my new hard drive didn't show up when selecting a destination to restore to (or in Disk Management).  I guessed (correctly) that I needed to download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager floppy driver.  So I downloaded the latest version (there are about 5 different 32-bit floppy drivers on Intel's download site) hoping that would work and it did.  So I am *finally* restoring her system.

But I have to say that I am shocked and appalled by how difficult it was for me to get to this point!  I am a longtime fan (not a fanboy!) of Microsoft and I've been impressed with Home Server up to this point.  I was almost ready to recommend it to my parents because it makes backing up multiple machines so easy and foolproof.  Or so I thought!  And there is just no reason it had to be this difficult!!  Why isn't there a 64-bit version of the restore CD??  Or if that's too difficult (and I can't imagine it would be), why doesn't the Home Server Connector client software warn us that "Hey!  You're running a 64-bit OS!  You'll need to obtain 64-bit drivers yourself!"  Or at the very least, in the "Read Me.txt" in the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder, why don't they point out that if these driver folders have "amd64" in their names, they won't work!!  It makes no mention whatsoever that there could be any problems at all!

If I wasn't a techie, there would be no way I could have restored her computer.  The backups would have been worthless.  My parents would never be able to figure out the problem, much less find the correct drivers and get them on a USB stick.

I am really shocked.  I am going to seriously rethink my opinion of WHS.

• Marked as answer by GeneWald Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:36 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:10 AM
  • 1) The laptop network card is integrated, but Device Manager under Computer Management console says it is a "Realtec PCIe FE Family Controller", which is in addition to the "Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter".  My understanding is that the wireless adapter is never used for a complete restore operation when booting from the restore CD.
    2) Yes, the laptop computer is connected to a Linksys router. 
    3) The Ethernet connector on the side of the computer does have LEDs that blink when it is used to connect to the network - these do not blink at all during the Restore CD boot process and subsequent attempts to find and connect to the WHS. 

The laptop is currently running Windows 7/32bit, so I had not been concerned about the issues expressed about 64bit vs 32bit drivers. 
    The article mentioned by Olaf describes a technique that is a bit more drastic but holds the best chance of success.  It involves removing the drive from the laptop needing to be restored and mounting it as a second drive in another computer that has access to the WHS, then running the ClientRestoreWizzard.exe fromthe WHS directly.  This is not something that a non-technical person would attempt, but at least provides an avenue that will most likely get me where I want to go. 
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:58 AM
  • eshiggs:  You mention that this does not bode well for WHS as an "easy, foolproof" backup solution for casual users, and I have to agree with that.  It is a remarkable commentary on the state of computing that it still has not progressed to the point of being a simple appliance - like a toaster or a coffee pot.  We still do not have a HAL that can do the things that were imagined so many years ago (2001 A Space Odysey was a 1968 movie).  42 years in computer terms is - well, a very, very long time.  Yet here we are, struggling to get a computer restored that should be as easy as flipping a switch.  I don't know for a fact, but most likely it is that simple in 99.99% of the cases.  But for those of us in the 0.01%, I can only speak for myself when I say that as frustrating as it is, I still appreciate the company of others who can figure out what is going on and how to deal with it.  Fortunately, I make a living in the IT world and confront issues similar to this every day.  And it is indeed fortunate that I enjoy the challenge as much as most people enjoy a good mystery novel or puzzle.  I truly look forward to going to the office every day!
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:07 AM
  • I definitely appreciate the assistance of all the kind folks in communities such as this one.  Even when it's not 100% correct (like in Lara's instructions), it's close enough that I can figure out the rest.

But I have to think that this particular problem is happening *way* more than 0.01%.  If I understand the problem correctly, if you are trying to restore a "modern" (new enough that the drivers are not included on the restore CD) 64-bit system to a new hard drive, you will encounter this issue and be unable to restore -- unless you are able to, on your own (with no assistance from the WHS help docs), find a solution such as this one online and then obtain the correct driver(s).  And systems like this are only becoming more and more common every day.  64-bit systems aren't a rarity anymore.  FWIW, Adobe has recently announced that their next video production suite will *require* a 64-bit OS.  And that's not that far off.

I really don't understand why Microsoft doesn't provide a 64-bit version of the restore CD for downloading.  They have been offering two versions of Vista -- in all it's variations -- for years.  Same goes for Windows 7.  Same goes for their server OSes.  Etc, etc.

Does anyone know why this isn't offered?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:27 AM
  • If you don't like that Microsoft uses a 32-bit operating system on the WHS restore CD then you can vote for Ken Warren's suggestion on Microsoft Connect here .
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Mark: Thank you for pointing me to that.  I voted a big Yes.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:12 PM
  • When you do restoring, there is a page call "Detect Hardware", could you confirm that the number of "Network device" is at least one. And you click "Show Details...", you would see your "Realtec PCIe FE Family Controller" listed or after you plug in the USB stick and do scanning for driver. If you don't see the NIC (not the wireless one) list, it should be a driver load know issue, if not it maybe a new problem. 
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:15 AM
  • Gene, please follow the link I provided above concerning Realtek NICs.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Gene, please follow the link I provided above concerning Realtek NICs.

Hi Ken,

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 motherboard and the XP32 driver wasn't recognized. I used the Vista32 driver and RAID32 driver and I'm back in business. I voted for your suggestion to Microsoft. I appreciate your help.
    Richard
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Yes, this is because the Restore CD is based on Vista PE, not on Windows XP.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:48 PM
  • I tried to vote on Ken's suggestion about 64 bit restore CD, but I get a message that says either I requested a non-existant page, or I don't have permissions.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:03 PM
  • I tried to vote on Ken's suggestion about 64 bit restore CD, but I get a message that says either I requested a non-existant page, or I don't have permissions.
    You need to register on Connect first.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:28 PM