none
remove SQL Server for Mymovies from whs RRS feed

• Question

• hello friends,

i have mymovies installed on my whs.

i had a problem and needed to uninstall it, and unistall all sql related sw from the add/remove.

i did so, when i tried to re-install mymovies, it will not install mymovies sql server 2005 express, since he claims its still on the whs.

i have no uninstall to remove it, but i see some services, (that of course could not run, as the sw in uninstalled and i deleted physicaly the lib. after uninstall and restart).

i need your help how to totaly remove all traces of sql server from my whs so that i could re-install my movies (that will re-install sql server).

i also ran cclean to clean registry and still no help here.

please help me.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:17 PM

All replies

• The only supported way to uninstall an add-in is through the console. When you uninstall in this fashion, it should also uninstall any other components it may have installed at the same time (such as SQL Server Express). Uninstalling through Add/Remove Programs may not fully uninstall an add-in, leaving components behind.

At this point, your options are fairly limited. You can contact the publisher of the MyMovies add-in to see if they can offer any suggestions. Failing that, your best (supported) alternative is server recovery. This will wipe the system partition on your server, and is describes (somewhat sketchily) here. You can try manually removing services, using a more thorough uninstaller to remove all traces of SQL Server, etc. but to be honest there's a fair chance that you will wind up needing the recovery anyway.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:26 PM
  • thank you Ken,

as you can see they can't help me here (http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&m=104779&#104779).

for doing recovery i have 2 questions please.

1. i have a lot of important matterials on my whs (pictures of kids, documents and movies), by doing recovery i'll not lose them?

2. how do i do recovery? (will i need to re-activate my whs? as i live in israel and last time i had to re-activate it as i live in israel i had to talk to ms for 2 weeks few hours everyday).

thank you in advance,

Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:27 PM
  • p.s.

sorry i forgot, to uninstall the mymovies add on will not uninstall the sql server...they have trouble shoot manual and they ask you to remove sql manualy from add/remove.

several times in the past it passed without any problem, this time i dont know why...its not.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:28 PM
  • hello ken,

you game me excellent idea! to mess with the registry!

i did so (deleted instances of sql from whs, like explained in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/4be2c2b2-8f7c-4bf8-a501-591119dd554d).

now it works!!!!!!

"

1. Uninstall any bits of sql server that did get installed

2. Remove C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server although I think just removing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1 will suffice.

3. Open regedit and delete the following keys:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLServer
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Services\SQL Server

4. Reboot and then reinstall.

"

many thanks.

Monday, September 20, 2010 5:26 AM