none
Deploy Client Utilities to Users - Can't connect to Cluster

Question

• So I have a CCS2003 cluster and it works great but I am trying to deplot the client utilities so Joe-User can submit jobs from his desktop.  I can't get this work.  I click on the Compuute Cluster Job Manager and then check "Another Computer" and provide the name of the headnode (I think).  The error I get is"THe server has rejected the client credentials, failed to connect to scheduler the at (name of headnode I gave it).

Everything else about this PC seems correct.  It is a member of the AD domain, I can log into the headnode and manipulate files.  It is WinXPPro 32bit - I have read conflicting things about whether or not the 32bit version of this OS is supported for this usage, but most of the documentation says it is.

Any help  would be greatly appreciated!

Dave
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:26 PM

Answers

• For the sake of helping those that come after... I figured it out. 

To fix the "connot connect to config. service etc." just reinstall the Compute Cluster Pack, that seems to fix the issue and is relatively painless.

To get the client PC utilities connected, I created a user on the cluster domain whose user name and password matched thatof  the client PC user.  Once that was done the server no longer "rejected" the attempt to connect.  Imagine that.  I guess this is a typical Active Directory thing but is not totally obvious to the uninitiated. 

FYI - despite some mentions in documentation, WinXP Pro 32-bit is compatable as a client PC OS.
    • Marked as answer by Josh Barnard Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:48 PM

All replies

• Could it be that I need to add a cluster user acct for the user of the client PC?  Would this be his/her login/username on said client PC?  If this is the case I am having the issue that sgimark is having a few posts down.  I continually get "cannot connect to the configuration service on the head node".  But I did not change the name of the head node as all. 

Again, any help would be most appreciated!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:13 PM
  • For the sake of helping those that come after... I figured it out. 

To fix the "connot connect to config. service etc." just reinstall the Compute Cluster Pack, that seems to fix the issue and is relatively painless.

To get the client PC utilities connected, I created a user on the cluster domain whose user name and password matched thatof  the client PC user.  Once that was done the server no longer "rejected" the attempt to connect.  Imagine that.  I guess this is a typical Active Directory thing but is not totally obvious to the uninitiated. 

FYI - despite some mentions in documentation, WinXP Pro 32-bit is compatable as a client PC OS.
    • Marked as answer by Josh Barnard Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:48 PM