Windows Live One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I rec.notice my one care would be auto-renewed on Sept 1. I did not want that so selected a link to cancel the renew.

That link went to a discontinued page and subsequent measures to cancel were all in vain.I finally sent a support message. It was answered the next day with more gibberish but I finally got a phone # to call.I  talked to a young

lady who took forever. I told her I wanted to cancel the update. She garbled around awhile then came back to tell me

my one care was cancelled as of then . I ask if I got any rebate on the unused portion,she asked what I meant,I

told her i was just trying to cancel the automatic renewal. Evidently she couldn't handle that because I rec.a email

on Aug 6 that said I was cancelled as of then. My question is do I get a rebate? I don't

.. think Bill would have handled it this way.       Bob MacKenzie
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 10:35 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry to read that you had such difficulty with the cancellation. Was it your intention to renew your subscription with a retail key or had you planned on switching to another security program?

If your intention was to cancel your subscription effective 9/1, then calling a few days before would have been the best thing to do. I'm not sure that they can cancel the auto-renew without actually canceling the subscription, which happens during your call to support.

If your intention was to renew with a retail key, then simply renewing with that key at any time before the auto-renew date of 9/1 at http://billing.microsoft.com would have sufficed to prevent the charge against the credit card.

At this point, if you wish to get your subscription re-instated, and are not ready to activate with a retail key, you'll need to contact support to see what options you have to correct the early cancellation.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:28 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry to read that you had such difficulty with the cancellation. Was it your intention to renew your subscription with a retail key or had you planned on switching to another security program?

If your intention was to cancel your subscription effective 9/1, then calling a few days before would have been the best thing to do. I'm not sure that they can cancel the auto-renew without actually canceling the subscription, which happens during your call to support.

If your intention was to renew with a retail key, then simply renewing with that key at any time before the auto-renew date of 9/1 at http://billing.microsoft.com would have sufficed to prevent the charge against the credit card.

At this point, if you wish to get your subscription re-instated, and are not ready to activate with a retail key, you'll need to contact support to see what options you have to correct the early cancellation.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:28 PM
  • I called as you recommend, and they (Microsoft support) wanted the credit card I used to buy Live One Care, but I dont remember which one I used, so I'm fighting to prevent microsoft from charging for this service I no longer want. The main reason I no longer want it is exactly this tact by Microsoft to make cancelling anything from Microsoft so terribly hard to do,

Barney
    Monday, October 20, 2008 10:20 AM
  • Sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com to see the last 4 digits of the credit card for your Billing account.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 7:02 PM