Cannot upload more than 1,000 items in Live Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I have a folder in Live Desktop in which I would like to upload about 2,500 files of text. However, I'm unable to add more files when "1,000 items" appears. I've used only 37% of the total space available. Does Mesh have a limit of the number of items one can include in a folder? Is there a way around this? Thanks for any advice.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:33 AM

Answers

• Hi All - thanks for your patience.  The Live Desktop Team is working on a fix that they'd like to roll out this summer.  In the meantime, if you want full access to a folder that is showing a "1000 item limit", then map the folder to a device and use it as a normal Windows folder.

Thank you for using Live Mesh!
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:22 AM

All replies

• I'm not aware of a file count limit, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one.
    Are you uploading via the browser to the Live Desktop or are you synchronizing a folder on your PC with the Live Desktop using the Live Mesh client?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Thanks for the post!  The Live Desktop does have a file limit, but it is in the tens of thousands.  Based on your comments it sounds like you're running into a problem while trying to upload the files, not of actual file storage.  Can you please try to upload the files in batches of 1,000 and post your findings.

Thanks!
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:04 PM
  • I'm uploading via the browser to the Live Desktop.
    Thanks,
    Andre
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:46 PM
  • I tried to upload a batch of 1,000 files, but I still have the same problem. I tried uploading just one additional file, but that didn't work either.
    Thanks,
    Andre
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Hi Meshforever,

I uploaded a file with 1151 clip art files in it. It uploaded within a minute with no errors a while back. So the problem you describe can't have anything to do with a limit.
    Diana , MSP, MSBP, .Net Developement and Visual Studio Forums Moderator, MSDN Sandbox Forums Moderator http://djartsinc.spaces.live.com Smile,,,Share Some Sunshine
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Thanks for the followup.  Can you confirm if that 1001st file won't save at all to the Live Desktop (you aleady have 1000 files on LiveDesktop and THEN try to save 1 more)?  Or are you simply unable to upload 1001 at one time?

Thanks!
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Hi, I am trying to sync my Vista "Documents" folder however doesn't matter how long I leave it to sync, Live Desktop only shows 1000 of the 2700 files in my PC folder. Is 1000 the file limit per folder that Live Mesh currently support?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Hi, I am trying to sync my Vista "Documents" folder however doesn't matter how long I leave it to sync, Live Desktop only shows 1000 of the 2700 files in my PC folder. Is 1000 the file limit per folder that Live Mesh currently support?

Hello, talamor.

I've merged your post into an existing open question regarding the same/similar issue.

If you could review the above discussion and try uploading the files in question manually, we'd like to understand the issue as there is no file limit that I'm aware of.

Thanks!
    -steve
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Thanks for your posts!  Revisited the question with the Live Desktop PM; it appears there could be a 1000 item barrier depending on how the items are added.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Thanks. Tried to upload manually but no better results, files on live desktop stuck at 1000.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Thanks for your posts!  Revisited the question with the Live Desktop PM; it appears there could be a 1000 item barrier depending on how the items are added.

Could be? :-) And can we get some clarification on "how the items are added?"
    Thanks Evan,

-steve

Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:05 PM
  • The Live Desktop Team is running through the upload scenarios now - once there is more information we'll post it.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Excellent. I look forward to the results.
    -steve
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I, too, have a folder with about 1500 files in it (cd cover art), and mesh will only upload 1,000 of them.  Since this is the only folder (at present) that I want to sync, it renders Mesh pretty worthless.  Apparently I will have to look for non-Microsoft alternatives (Dropbox, Google apps, etc.).  I will, however, wait to see what answer the Team comes up with here.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 1:21 AM
  • I, too, have a folder with about 1500 files in it (cd cover art), and mesh will only upload 1,000 of them.  Since this is the only folder (at present) that I want to sync, it renders Mesh pretty worthless.  Apparently I will have to look for non-Microsoft alternatives (Dropbox, Google apps, etc.).  I will, however, wait to see what answer the Team comes up with here.

Or await a fix for what reads to me as a bug since it happens only under certain, not as yet explained, conditions.
    -steve
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Hi All - thanks for your patience.  The Live Desktop Team is working on a fix that they'd like to roll out this summer.  In the meantime, if you want full access to a folder that is showing a "1000 item limit", then map the folder to a device and use it as a normal Windows folder.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:22 AM

I don't think full access is the issue, the issue is that in some cases, when the 1,000 file limit is reached (without warning, other than 1,001 won't upload) remaining files just can't be synchronized.

So, the workaround would seem to be that you will need to split the local folder into two or more folders and then add these new folders to the Mesh and sync.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:22 PM
  • The newest update (June 25) apparently has not addressed the 1000 item limit. I guess there is still time for a fix "this summer".  Is summer measured by the meteorological terminus at the end of August, or the equinox at the end of September? I need to know when to mark my calendar for the update.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 9:35 PM
  • The newest update (June 25) apparently has not addressed the 1000 item limit. I guess there is still time for a fix "this summer".  Is summer measured by the meteorological terminus at the end of August, or the equinox at the end of September? I need to know when to mark my calendar for the update.

I like your post. :-)
    Unfortunately, details on when things will be fixed are not available to me or are they generally published. The fact that it is on the list of known issues and under consideration for how to resolve and noted above as hoping to be fixed this "summer" would suggest that we'll see a fix "one day" in the future. Hopefully, that will happen soon. I can't say if it will happen before the start of the Fall season as measured on the calendar, though.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:39 PM
  • An interesting discovery today regarding the 1000 file limit.  It seems that the client devices (i.e. computers) will actually sync above 1000 files in a folder, but the web file will not display over 1000 files.  In other words, I can keep my computers synced through mesh, even though I cannot access all the files directly from the mesh web page.  I will do some more experimenting, but if this holds up, it reduces the problem.  It is then not a syncing problem but a sharing problem, and since I only want the former, mesh becomes useful again.  It still needs a fix though.  I missed an unsettling possibility in my prior post as to what constitutes "this summer": maybe it means summer in the southern hemisphere?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:24 AM
  • You are correct. The limitation, as I understand it, is via the Live Desktop. Client sync can handle above 1,000 files.
    LOL! Yes, it is Winter in the Southern Hemisphere, isn't it?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:29 PM
  • I am having the same issue. The folder seems synchronized, but I can't see anything past the 1000th file in the Live Desktop. Any fixes in the works?
    Friday, June 11, 2010 1:16 PM
  • I am having the same issue. The folder seems synchronized, but I can't see anything past the 1000th file in the Live Desktop. Any fixes in the works?

Not in the current product.

See: 

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/06/10/coming-soon-windows-live-sync-beta.aspx

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:49 PM