Windows Live One Care - update destruction RRS feed

• Question

• Allowed a Windows live onecare update. Restarted the computer, as instructed. Computer restarted, got past password to restart and then a perpetual black screen/cursor and nothing more. HP Pavillion dv6000 running Vista. Tried system restore, no change. Computer will start in safemode only.

What now?
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 8:50 AM

Answers

• Boot into Safe Mode, select Start>Run, enter "msconfig" without the quotes in the Run box.When the system configuration utility opens select "Diagnostic startup" on the General tab, click Apply and OK. Restart your computer normally and uninstall One Care. Open the system configuration utility again and select "Normal startup". Download the One Care install cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2 right click the downloaded file and select "Run as Administrator". Restart your computer and then install One Care. 

Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:38 PM

All replies

• Boot into Safe Mode, select Start>Run, enter "msconfig" without the quotes in the Run box.When the system configuration utility opens select "Diagnostic startup" on the General tab, click Apply and OK. Restart your computer normally and uninstall One Care. Open the system configuration utility again and select "Normal startup". Download the One Care install cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2 right click the downloaded file and select "Run as Administrator". Restart your computer and then install One Care. 

Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Note that you may have encountered this if other security software is conflicting with OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:12 PM
  • HAD THE SAME PROBLEM RUNNING WINDOWS XP PROFFESIONAL ON ACER ASPIRE 3260 BUT CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH F KEY TO HIT ON STARTUP TO ENTER SAFE BOOT. F2 IS BIOS BUT THERE IS NO SAFE BOOT OPTION IN THE BOOT TAB. I'M GUESSING THE REST OF IT SHOULD BE THE SAME UNLESS VISTA IS THAT DIFFERENT. LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:18 AM
  • Hello Heinz, use F8 to enter safe mode.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:41 AM
  • HI, THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE.

IF IT'S A ANTIVIRUS CONFLICT, DO I HAVE TO DELETE WINDOWS DEFENDER AND SHUT OF THE WINDOWS FIRE WALL BEFORE I INSTALL ONE CARE?

APPRECIATE YOUR CONSIDERATION. HEINZ

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Hello Heinz, One Care will turn off Defender and the Windows firewall automatically so you don't have to. 

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Put in new 1 year service code, restarted computer and the Live OneCare symbol is no where?  Can't seem to find it on my computer now. ??
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Hello Bakcak, if the system tray icon is missing try launching  One Care from the Start Menu.
    Jim
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:27 AM