Replication of Project Server 2010 databases from Production to Development RRS feed

• Question

• HI

We have One Production, One Development and One QA server but the Production data is not matching with the Dev and QA.

Now our client is asking is there any possibility that we can copy the production data bases and replicate in the Dev and QA.

Is there any auto sync method where the production data updates will be updated in Dev and QA automatically.

Our environment is Project Server 2010  4 PWA data bases and 1 config data base and 1 config data base for project sites.

Please suggest a best possible way to solve this issue as i thought to take the the PWA back up frm central admin along with the 4 db back up from pwa--- 6 db back up from sql server---- restore all of them in the Dev and QA---i don't think it is the right approach.

Thanks

Geetha

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:38 AM

Answers

• As per your First post you only want to update the data of DB on regular basis. 

Now you are talking about back up restore Please be clear what you want . 

If you have all the configuration ready on qa and dev then only replication need to be done. 

can i use the replication mechanism for all the 5 databases in PS 2010 at time won't be a problem right ?  YES

other wise 

If i want to copy the PWA configuration part can i use play book or any other steps i need to perform. YES

We have some workflows on PWA instance. Create workflow on Dev and QA

kirtesh

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:08 AM

All replies

• Automatically from Application side you can not achieve it .

It is a normal process in organizations, Ask your Database administrator to replicate the Production Database to QA or Dev environment on regular basis. Replication is a simple task for DB administrator.

You can perform this activity either every day or every week. You have to Replicate all the database from one environment to other not the single one or selective basis. 

These are the Db for which you have to perform replication 

Archive
    Draft
    Published
    Reporting
    Content

http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/06/07/project-server-2010-database-restore-part-i/

link is about back up and restore manually but this is for reference only. you have to go for DB replication as i told you above.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:56 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Hi Kirtesh,

Thank for the reply would you mind throwing some light on the replication part,  

Is it the normal way like SQL mirroring or taking the back up and over write the current when restoring.

Thanks

Geeth 

Geeth If you feel that the answer which i gave you is Helpful please select it as Answer/helpful.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:01 AM
  • Replication, Mirroring, Taking back up and overwrite all are serving same purpose but as per need we choose our ways. I am using replication for for many of many clients and its working fine. we are doing it daily.

You need to ask to your DB experts to do the same for you.

Replication is a set of technologies for copying and distributing data and database objects from one database to another and then synchronizing between databases to maintain consistency. Using replication, you can distribute data to different locations and to remote or mobile users over local and wide area networks, dial-up connections, wireless connections, and the Internet.

kirtesh

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:06 AM
  • can i use the replication mechanism for all the 5 databases in PS 2010 at time won't be a problem right ? 

If i want to copy the PWA configuration part can i use play book or any other steps i need to perform.

We have some workflows on PWA instance.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:04 AM
  • As per your First post you only want to update the data of DB on regular basis. 

Now you are talking about back up restore Please be clear what you want . 

If you have all the configuration ready on qa and dev then only replication need to be done. 

can i use the replication mechanism for all the 5 databases in PS 2010 at time won't be a problem right ?  YES

other wise 

If i want to copy the PWA configuration part can i use play book or any other steps i need to perform. YES

We have some workflows on PWA instance. Create workflow on Dev and QA

kirtesh

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:08 AM