Replacing the default Hosts file RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

I recently read the following:

By replacing the default HOSTS file in Windows, this will help in stopping the communication with websites that is known to install or inject malware or parasites.

With the rapidly increasing threats of insidious malware, I am always looking for additional ways to protect my (beloved) computer.  Should replacing the default Hosts file something I should consider?

Thank you,

Nissi1

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:07 PM

Answers

• You can, if you wish, but it can slow down your web browsing experience as the Hosts file needs to be checked before every DNS lookup. A large list of IP addresses in the Hosts file means lots of checking.

It really isn't a discussion for this forum, though. I'd suggest reading this site's information if you wish to proceed:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 30, 2009 4:40 PM

All replies

• You can, if you wish, but it can slow down your web browsing experience as the Hosts file needs to be checked before every DNS lookup. A large list of IP addresses in the Hosts file means lots of checking.

It really isn't a discussion for this forum, though. I'd suggest reading this site's information if you wish to proceed:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Good morning Steve,

As always, thank you for the information. 

I certainly do not wish to slow anything down on this entry level computer, especially since I discovered (and obtained) this week that my carrier, Verizon, is freely upgrading their DSL customers speeds from 768K to 1M.  Only with existing customers, they are doing the Honor but do not Offer thing!

Zandra

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:38 PM
  • You're welcome. It may not slow you down enough to concern you, so feel free to try it out. You can easily restore the default Hosts file if you aren't happy with the behavior.

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:56 PM