Cannot get WHS to load at all RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the WHS from MS twice. Each time I burned the ISO to a DVD using the DVD burning software in Win 7.
    The DVD will boot from the DVD burner in the PC I am trying to load to, first I get the White Text "Loading Files" and the white progress bar, thoe it switches to the Microsoft Logo and the Green bars that move from left to right....this goes on for a few seconds then the screen goes black and there is no activity afterwards. Does the same on both DVDs I burned.

Any ideas ??

Thanks
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:30 AM

Answers

• I have downloaded the WHS from MS twice. Each time I burned the ISO to a DVD using the DVD burning software in Win 7.
    The DVD will boot from the DVD burner in the PC I am trying to load to, first I get the White Text "Loading Files" and the white progress bar, thoe it switches to the Microsoft Logo and the Green bars that move from left to right....this goes on for a few seconds then the screen goes black and there is no activity afterwards. Does the same on both DVDs I burned.

Any ideas ??

Thanks
    Did you check the CRC value of the image to make sure it was a complete download?  Have you tried replacing the DVD drive?
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:57 AM
  • OK,

Tried two different CRC checkers and the downloaded ISO CRC from MS does not match the crc that MS lists  0xA87C12B7

I tried the crc check on two different ISO downloads, both from the MS site, neither match ........... so what do I do next ??
    You should try downloading from a different computer and/or a different location other than your home (or where ever you were when you downloaded it the first time).
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:39 PM
  • You should try downloading from a different computer and/or a different location other than your home (or where ever you were when you downloaded it the first time).
    Never mind about downloading again.  Your image is valid and it matches the CRCVALUES.TXT file and the CRC checksum of the image I downloaded as well.  It's the website that has the wrong CRC value listed (that's probably what it was for the WHS w/ PP1 iso).  I'll contact the WHS team so they can get that fixed.

The only other thought I have at this point is to try swapping out some other hardware (hard drive for starters perhaps).
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:01 PM

All replies

Any ideas ??

Thanks
    Did you check the CRC value of the image to make sure it was a complete download?  Have you tried replacing the DVD drive?
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:57 AM
  • I have tried two different DVD drives, no change. 

Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:44 AM
  • OK,

Tried two different CRC checkers and the downloaded ISO CRC from MS does not match the crc that MS lists  0xA87C12B7

I tried the crc check on two different ISO downloads, both from the MS site, neither match ........... so what do I do next ??
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:21 AM
  • OK,

You should try downloading from a different computer and/or a different location other than your home (or where ever you were when you downloaded it the first time).
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:39 PM
  • You should try downloading from a different computer and/or a different location other than your home (or where ever you were when you downloaded it the first time).
    Never mind about downloading again.  Your image is valid and it matches the CRCVALUES.TXT file and the CRC checksum of the image I downloaded as well.  It's the website that has the wrong CRC value listed (that's probably what it was for the WHS w/ PP1 iso).  I'll contact the WHS team so they can get that fixed.

The only other thought I have at this point is to try swapping out some other hardware (hard drive for starters perhaps).
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:01 PM

The CRC on the MS download site is  0xA87C12B7  at least that is what is listed in the CRCVALUES file at the site.

The CRC of my second download was 6B35D148D97247674FACC32E2987628B  at least that is what I get running the md5 CRC checker

Also, I have tried two different HDs to load the image two. They both had the same failures to load the two downloaded isos.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:50 PM
  • The CRC on the MS download site is  0xA87C12B7  at least that is what is listed in the CRCVALUES file at the site.

That's correct.  (The website itself has the wrong CRC value).  If the CRC of your download matches 0xA87C12B7, your image is good.

The CRC of my second download was 6B35D148D97247674FACC32E2987628B  at least that is what I get running the md5 CRC checker

That's an MD5 checksum, not CRC.  You need to use a different mode or tool to get the CRC checksum.

Also, I have tried two different HDs to load the image two. They both had the same failures to load the two downloaded isos.

Monday, January 18, 2010 3:22 AM

• That's an MD5 checksum, not CRC.  You need to use a different mode or tool to get the CRC checksum.

OK,

Located a different app for finding the CRC.

The crc of my downloads is  a87c12b7 , not  0xA87C12B7  so something IS missing from the downloads. Not sure how to correct this.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:45 PM
  • When something is prefixed with 0x, it means its a hex number. It is not part of the value itself

a87c12b7 = 0xA87C12B7

(ignore 0x and capitalization does not matter)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:48 PM