Office Communicator Mobile RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to connect to my OCS through Windows Mobile 6 and the mobile client.  However I get the following error message.

"Cannot sign in.  Check your connection settings in the Server options, or contact your system administrator."

In my server options, I have the servername.companyname.org.

The website is running on a different port so I have even tried severname.companyname.org: port and to no avail.  I can however get to the site externally from an IE page by hitting the same site...

Any ideas???

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:56 PM

All replies

• Eddie,

Communicator Mobile (CoMo) leverages the Edge server for connectivity.  It sounds like you are providing the address of your Communicator Web Access server.  Instead, use the external FQDN of your Edge server.  If you are running your Access Edge on a port other than 5061 then you will need to enter it as serverfqdn : port (no spaces - I placed spaces there to prevent the emoticon from displaying).  Also be sure that you have either disabled the client version filter or made the appropriate changes to allow CoMo to connect since by default OCS does not allow those connections.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Excuse my stupidity when it comes to CoMo, I am new to this.  We are only using one server so I am guessing that the Edge server is residing on the same server as the web access server.  The ClientVersionFilter was enabled, I did disable that but no workie still.  The SIP IP address does show port 5061 though for MTLS.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:30 PM
  • OCS Web Access Server cannot be colocated on your OCS Front End server

If you have an EDGE server you probably configured the Access EDGE Server to listen on port 443

You also have to change the ClientVersionFilter on the EDGE and Front-End Server

For some reason the RTM version of Communicator Mobile is lower than the allowed version

Step 1. Open Your Standard of Enterprise Pool
    Step 2. Open your Client Version Filter (Option in your pool configuration.
    Step 3. Change the CPE value to 2.0.387.* >= Allow
    Step 4. Stop all started services
    Step 5. Start all stopped services
    Step 6. Connect to your Access Edge Server search your ClientVersionFilterConfig.exe (location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007)
    Step 7. Repeat step 3.
    Step 8. Stop all started services (on your Access Edge Server)
    Step 9. Start all stopped services ((on your Access Edge Server)
    Step 10. Reconnect again and it works! Succes!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:25 PM
  • The web server is on the same server as the Front end server.  Why can't they be on the same server.  The web interface works just fine from the outside, it is just the mobile that can't connect.  We want to keep this on one server, so am I screwed?

I did do the 1-10 steps and still no workie, still the same error....

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:57 PM
  • Eddie,

What the other replies are explaining is that in order to us CoMo you will need to deploy an Access Edge Server role, which requires a physical 'Edge' Server to be installed in a DMZ or some other perimeter network outside your internal, corporate LAN.  The Communicator Mobile client will only operate when it can communicate with this service, the Front-End server alone is not enough.

You can keep the Front-End and CWA on the same server, but those components only give you internal IM client connectivity and external web access.  You need to deploy an Edge server in order to use an external client access for OC and CoMo.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Jeff -

That makes more sense, thank you so much!!  Is there anyway around that?  I know my company isn't going to want to spend money on a new server just we can have CoMo.  Is there just a port that needs to opened on the firewall? 

I would guess I am not the first one to try this.

Thanks again!

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:34 PM
  • To my knowledge there is no way around that as the Access Edge Server IS the compoments that makes external client access 'work'.  That would be like trying to get OWA to work on Exchange without deploying IIS on a server.

That said, the Edge server does not have to be a very expensive server, especially if you have no plans of using Audio and Video with external clients.  But having external IM, Presence, and Federation/PIC capabilities are very beneficial and worth the cost (IMO) of a simple server deployed to a Perimeter network.  If you can sell them on those features then you can piggyback CoMo on to that.  I see little use of CoMo myself, outside of IT staff. I use it on my Windows Mobile phone occasionally; it's great to have when you need it.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:40 PM
  • If you don't mind opening your Internal OCS server to the public world, you can run both Communicator mobile and Communicator external to your organization.

Assuming that your public DNS is correct and you've set up your certificates correctly, you can open both TCP/443 and TCP/5061 on your firewall pointing to your internal server.  We've successfully deployed a single-server infrastructure and are able to run Communicator Mobile and Communicator outside of our internal network.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Yes but that is very risky, this is not an intended scenario, do not expose your Front-End server to the internet!

Then you loose all security features that keep the bad guys if you don't install an EDGE server

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:31 PM
  •  

would you mind detailing what you mean by your certificate comment. My boss wants to go this route and I cant get eh CoMo client to login due to cert problems on a phone even though it works on computers.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:24 PM
  • I assume that you have a private internal Root CA that issued the certificate to your EDGE Server? or OCS Front-End Server?

You have to import Private Root CA into your Mobile Phone

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Yes we do. I didnt realize that was a requirement (downloading the cert on the phone), the deployement of Office Com worked on the computers without dling the cert, but then again I dont know much about how certificates work, so I am assuming that because the computers were attached to the domain they already had the cert. In any case I went into the cert wizard on the Comm Server and then exported the cert and downloaded it on the phone. It worked then. Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:33 PM
  • You are correct if you have an Enterprise root installed in your domain computers automatically download the Root Cert

You have imported the server cert into the phone

It is better to import the Root Cert into the phone then it trusts all certificates issued by the Root and if you renew your server cert then you are still ok on the phone otherwise you have to reimport the new server cert into the phone

Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:34 PM