Memory... more or faster? RRS feed

• Question

• As I mentioned in another post, my WHS is on a Frankenstein of a PC built from spare parts I've accumulated.  I went out and bought 512 MB of cheap RAM to meet the minimum.  Right now it's running at 400 MHz, the normal PC3200 speed.  But I have another 256 MB of PC2100.  Would it be better to have just 512 MB of PC3200, or have 768 MB only running at PC2100 speed?
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 10:21 PM

Answers

• I installed the other 256 MB and really only noticed a difference in the performance of the virtual machine I have running on the server.  Backups took the same amount of time and even with only 512 I could stream video to 3 other network devices.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 2:58 PM

All replies

• You could try putting the extra 256 MB of memory in, but honestly I don't think you'll find it makes much difference. Why not give it a try and let us know the results?
    Monday, April 30, 2007 12:26 AM
  • Before you add the extra memory do some work on the system and also run some benchmarking tests and then add the extra RAM so you will know for certain that the change was for the better. If you have no other real use for the RAM and it does provide at least some level of performance increase it isn't wasted time, at least until you can add more identicle RAM.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 1:31 AM
  • On a WHS system memory speed will hardly ever be a bottleneck so I'd reccomend using more memory even it it is slower.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:32 AM
  • I'll second that thought and here's why. My fairly clean install uses between about 440mb at idle and 560mb while a backup is running. While it's true you will slow down your overall memory access from 400mhz to 266(?) mhz with the additional RAM, without it you will almost certainly be paging at some points. During those times, you will be down to something like .5mhz equivelent when you have to access your page file, possibly to the point where you start dropping data if you are also streaming media or remoting in at the same time. So while you may not get the absolute fastest overall speed, it should be much more consistent.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 10:43 PM
  • I doubled my WHS system RAM from 512 single to 1024 dual channel after install, really didn't seem to make a diference.

More is usually better though.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:56 PM
  • I installed the other 256 MB and really only noticed a difference in the performance of the virtual machine I have running on the server.  Backups took the same amount of time and even with only 512 I could stream video to 3 other network devices.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Using DDR 3200 512 RAM on  WHS,  having no problems playing back HDTV to the MCE PC ( 100 network).
    Friday, May 4, 2007 4:07 PM