none
I can not delete that folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to everybody. I am new to the WHS bussines. I am an average PC user and I would like to ask a question for some advice.

I have set up my WHS and I have transfered all my content to it. In this procedure I don't know when and how I have created in my WHServer a folder that has strange behaviour. It does not appear in the "shared folders" of the WHS console,  but I can access its contents from "My Network Places" in the client PCs of my workgroup. I can also access the folder from File Manager add-in.

Because I don't need this folder I tried different methods to delete it or move it to another shared folder. But I failed to delete it by all methods (from within the console or Remotly connected or from within the File Manager add-in). I always get the message "Acces is denied". I can only copy the contents of that folder to a different place.

Is there any trick to cure the situation or it is better to leave it as it is, as far as it does not cause any problem?
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:25 PM

All replies

• Hello to everybody. I am new to the WHS bussines. I am an average PC user and I would like to ask a question for some advice.

I have set up my WHS and I have transfered all my content to it. In this procedure I don't know when and how I have created in my WHServer a folder that has strange behaviour.

Have you ever logged into the server desktop and done anything from there (which, by the way, is unsupported)?

It does not appear in the "shared folders" of the WHS console,  but I can access its contents from "My Network Places" in the client PCs of my workgroup. I can also access the folder from File Manager add-in.

Because I don't need this folder I tried different methods to delete it or move it to another shared folder. But I failed to delete it by all methods (from within the console or Remotly connected or from within the File Manager add-in). I always get the message "Acces is denied". I can only copy the contents of that folder to a different place.

Is there any trick to cure the situation or it is better to leave it as it is, as far as it does not cause any problem?
    I would suggest you determine exactly how it got there in the first place.  However, since you aren't sure what happened, I would suggest you consider it a data recovery scenario and follow the steps in the FAQ post: How to recover data after server failure (just in case there is something wrong with your server).  Once you've secured all of your data, you could try a Server Reinstallation.

The alternative to that would be to log into the server desktop and check the permissions for the folder in question (by right clicking on it, selecting Properties, then the Security tab) and see if you can determine what's wrong with them.  However, that is unsupported and since you don't know how that share got created in the first place, I would advise against it.
    • Marked as answer by KaPan Monday, October 19, 2009 10:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by KaPan Monday, October 19, 2009 10:20 AM
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. Yes I have logged into the server desktop before. There is a small possibility I created the folder from there, but I don't remember it (three months allready passed from the time I installed the WHS). I checked the permissions and everything looks normal to me. Anyway the system does not allow me to change anything there.

It seems that things are worst than what I initialy beleived. For that reason may be it is better to  go directly for a clean installation of the WHS after I will move my data first to an external location. 

Please allow me to return back here if I have something new to say.

Thanks again.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 10:20 AM