none
Purchasing XP professional RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

i am opening a cyber cafe shop and i am intreseted in purchasing Windows XP professional edition. i need to install that on around 7-10 computers.i need some assistance regarding this.

1. Which is best for using in the cafe? Pro or home

2. Where can i purchase this and how much will be the cost for multiple licenses?

3. Should i get Multiple licence or should i get Multiple activation Keys for this?

Thanking You

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:56 AM

Answers

• Pravi22,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic but maybe I may direct you in the right direction.

Pravi, excellent question. There can be a personal preference involved yet will be coupled with practical application and use. Please post this question here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US where you will received more detailed information. 

2. Where can i purchase this and how much will be the cost for multiple licenses?

Please visit the following Microsoft Website:  http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx for purchasing Volume Licensing. 

3. Should i get Multiple licence or should i get Multiple activation Keys for this?

The url above can address your particular situation. There are a few options to address and the site above are better enabled to handle the question. The cost may be cheaper for purchasing a Volume licensing agreement for installing the operating system on multiple systems. Also you may want to review http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  This site will explain the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program. 

Thank you Pravi,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:17 PM
  •  pravi22 wrote:

Hi there,

i am opening a cyber cafe shop and i am intreseted in purchasing Windows XP professional edition. i need to install that on around 7-10 computers.i need some assistance regarding this.

Your question about which OS to use would depend upon the computers themselves.  Are they powerful enough to run Vista?  If so, then use Vista, it is superior to XP in many ways and priced about the same.  Are they name brand computers?  If so, the most economical purchase is to buy them with either XP or Vista OEM preinstalled.  Are they white boxes or clones with no OS on them now?  The most economical option is still XP or Vista OEM, because the "Multiple License" you mention (really it is called a Volume License") is an upgrade license only, so the computers would first have to have a Vista or XP license anyway, so you end up buying double licenses for no reason.

pravi22 wrote:

IMO Vista Home Premium would be your best choice, assuming the computer's got enough horsepower.  Your customers would enjoy the nice Vista Aero Glass interface which may differentiate your cafe from others using an older OS; Vista combined with IE7 is much more secure than XP for surfing; an installation of Vista is more effectively protected from use tampering with the better User Access Control feature, and keeping your customers from tampering with the computer and settings is very important in a cyber cafe setting.

If you have the budget for Vista Ultimate that would give you the benefit of built-in disk image based backup, something that is also very important for cyber cafe computers---if they do get tampered with, it's easy to reimage the computer back to the normal configuration.  Of course this can be done with third party disk imaging tools too.

For the typical uses one would expect from a cyber cafe customer, I can't think of anything in XP Pro or Vista Biz that would make them a better choice.

pravi22 wrote:

Not knowing your worldwide location, I can only say that if I were buying, I would be shopping for the best price on OEM software at a trusted online retailer.

pravi22 wrote:

See above for mention of Volume License.

pravi22 wrote:

Thanking You

Good Luck with your business venture!

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Dan,

Thank you for explaining the details :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, September 28, 2007 6:28 PM

All replies

• Pravi22,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic but maybe I may direct you in the right direction.

Pravi, excellent question. There can be a personal preference involved yet will be coupled with practical application and use. Please post this question here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US where you will received more detailed information. 

Please visit the following Microsoft Website:  http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx for purchasing Volume Licensing. 

The url above can address your particular situation. There are a few options to address and the site above are better enabled to handle the question. The cost may be cheaper for purchasing a Volume licensing agreement for installing the operating system on multiple systems. Also you may want to review http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  This site will explain the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program. 

Thank you Pravi,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:17 PM
  •  pravi22 wrote:

Hi there,

Your question about which OS to use would depend upon the computers themselves.  Are they powerful enough to run Vista?  If so, then use Vista, it is superior to XP in many ways and priced about the same.  Are they name brand computers?  If so, the most economical purchase is to buy them with either XP or Vista OEM preinstalled.  Are they white boxes or clones with no OS on them now?  The most economical option is still XP or Vista OEM, because the "Multiple License" you mention (really it is called a Volume License") is an upgrade license only, so the computers would first have to have a Vista or XP license anyway, so you end up buying double licenses for no reason.

pravi22 wrote:

IMO Vista Home Premium would be your best choice, assuming the computer's got enough horsepower.  Your customers would enjoy the nice Vista Aero Glass interface which may differentiate your cafe from others using an older OS; Vista combined with IE7 is much more secure than XP for surfing; an installation of Vista is more effectively protected from use tampering with the better User Access Control feature, and keeping your customers from tampering with the computer and settings is very important in a cyber cafe setting.

If you have the budget for Vista Ultimate that would give you the benefit of built-in disk image based backup, something that is also very important for cyber cafe computers---if they do get tampered with, it's easy to reimage the computer back to the normal configuration.  Of course this can be done with third party disk imaging tools too.

For the typical uses one would expect from a cyber cafe customer, I can't think of anything in XP Pro or Vista Biz that would make them a better choice.

pravi22 wrote:

Not knowing your worldwide location, I can only say that if I were buying, I would be shopping for the best price on OEM software at a trusted online retailer.

pravi22 wrote:

See above for mention of Volume License.

pravi22 wrote:

Thanking You

Good Luck with your business venture!

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Dan,

Thank you for explaining the details :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, September 28, 2007 6:28 PM