WHS As A Desktop OS? RRS feed

• Question

• This may sound inane at first, but, given that prices of the 2 OSs are about the same, consider the following technophobic user:

• They do mostly webmail and maybe the occasional MS Word document
    • They depend on somebody who is 100 miles away for any and all computer-related assistance

Really, they're a classic freebie-Linux candidate.

But for me, it seems like installing WHS on their PC as the desktop operating system makes sense.

To wit:
    • They don't need a lot of sophistication at the UI/application level.   Understood that some apps will not run on server OS', but MS Office has gotta run on WHS, right?
    • WHS' shares are no more arcane to them than drive letters - maybe a little less.
    • When they have a problem, Yours Truly can just connect to their box and do what needs tb done.

Am I missing something?

Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:12 PM

All replies

• You can make a remote desktop connection to any regular windows operating system (Vista / XP) given that port 3389 is available to both ends. You can configure it thru the properties of my Computer.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Use of Windows Home Server as a desktop OS is not supported and (of course) not recommended. Windows Server 2003 in general doesn't make a very "nice" desktop OS, and the tweaks to allow Windows Home Server to work make it much less friendly.

In addition, Windows Home Server is not configured by default to allow incoming remote desktop connections to the server from outside the local area network.

In ither words, wait until you can get it and install Windows 7 for Mom and Pop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:25 PM
  • WHS isn't supported as a desktop operating system.

Perhaps Windows Starter Edition?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 10:25 PM