Communicator will not open... RRS feed

• Question

• My company has recently installed Office Communicator R2 on about 1500 computers. 5 of them will not start Communicator when the icon is double-clicked. I tried starting it from the icon in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communicator\Communicator.exe'. I also tried to start the process manually through the Task Manager and tried to prompt it to start through Start-Run-Communicator. Each time I try to start it, the process in the task manager shows up for about 3 to 6 seconds and then goes away. No windows open and nothing else really happens. I've tried uninstalling it, deleting all communicator files and registries, and re-installed it. I also ran a Windows repair, reinstalled Office, repaired the OST file in Outlook, deleted all cookies and temp files, allocated 1200MB Ram in IE options, disabled unused add-ins from Outlook Add-In Manager and tried reinstalling it from the website. It seems that no matter what I do, the program will not open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:59 PM

Answers

• After further research, I found out that this is an issue with COM+ components. I am unable to repair or reload the components though and it keeps giving me errors saying, "Catalog Error: An error occurred while processing the last operation error code class not registered". This seems to be an OS issue so I am moving this to a different forum.
    JCassity
    • Marked as answer by jcassity Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I finally was able to come up with a resolution...

1. Log into the computer as an administrator.
    2. Right-click on the My Computer icon and select Manage.
    3. In the left column, expand Services and Applications and click on Services.
    4. In the right pane, locate the following services:
                 COM+ Event System
                 COM+ System Application
                 Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
                 Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    5. Double-click on the service to bring up the properties and set each one of
                 the services to Automatic. Make sure they are all started.
    6. While the properties are up, click on the Log On tab and make sure that each
                 of these services have the options, “Local System account” and “Allow
                 service to interact with Desktop” checked.
    7. Click on OK and reboot the computer.
    8.      When the computer comes back up, click on Start > Run and type in "appwiz.cpl".
                 Then click on OK.

After running through these steps, all but 2 computers were able to start Communicator. Those two computer were wiped clean and reimaged. I was still unable to figure out how to install the 'COM+ System Applications' service.

JCassity
    • Marked as answer by jcassity Friday, June 12, 2009 4:26 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:26 PM

All replies

• After further research, I found out that this is an issue with COM+ components. I am unable to repair or reload the components though and it keeps giving me errors saying, "Catalog Error: An error occurred while processing the last operation error code class not registered". This seems to be an OS issue so I am moving this to a different forum.
    JCassity
    • Marked as answer by jcassity Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:50 PM
  • I finally was able to come up with a resolution...

1. Log into the computer as an administrator.
    2. Right-click on the My Computer icon and select Manage.
    3. In the left column, expand Services and Applications and click on Services.
    4. In the right pane, locate the following services:
                 COM+ Event System
                 COM+ System Application
                 Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
                 Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    5. Double-click on the service to bring up the properties and set each one of
                 the services to Automatic. Make sure they are all started.
    6. While the properties are up, click on the Log On tab and make sure that each
                 of these services have the options, “Local System account” and “Allow
                 service to interact with Desktop” checked.
    7. Click on OK and reboot the computer.
    8.      When the computer comes back up, click on Start > Run and type in "appwiz.cpl".
                 Then click on OK.

After running through these steps, all but 2 computers were able to start Communicator. Those two computer were wiped clean and reimaged. I was still unable to figure out how to install the 'COM+ System Applications' service.

JCassity
    • Marked as answer by jcassity Friday, June 12, 2009 4:26 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:26 PM