Project 2010 Template saves to server but is not available to select when creating a new project in Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use my MSP 2010 template that I saved to the server (that part seems to work as I can verify by going into PWA>Delete Enterprise Objects and I see my template listed as Template, Version = Working, Checked out = No). However, when I go to that particluar Departments 'create new project' page, the template does not show in the 'Project Template' drop list.

I have read all of the other posts, I have removed any blank lines and any links from Summary tasks to milestones but this has made no differance and I have tried a million times. Is there something in the template that may be stopping the template going from the server to the pick list??

Many thanks for your help,

Cate

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:48 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

I seem to have fixded the issue - when I open a mpp file in MSP, I need to have macros disabled then Project Server will allow that file, saved as a Template to the Server to publish all the way thorugh and be available on the relevant department's 'Project Template' drop list. I have now uploaded all of my templates successfully!

Many thanks for your time.

Cate

• Marked as answer by CateB Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:44 PM

All replies

• Cate,

Did you associate the new template to the Enterprise Project Type for that department? Go to Server Settings, Enterprise Project Types, click on the type in question. The template dropdown is almost at the bottom of the page. Once set, any new project created with that type will use the template.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte| http://AboutMSProject.com

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:28 AM
  • Hello CateB

You must put the template in an EPT page for the department.

However, after I read you question, can you be  more specific.  Are you referring to the SharePoint site template or the Project Schedule template?  And are you expecting to see the template, in the Create Project? or when you create the EPT?

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:44 AM
  • HI Cate

I am assuming, and as Wharton also queried the same, that you are trying to associate a Project template with your EPT (Enterprise Project Type). So that whenever you create new project of that type, it will be based on that template.

Now as you have stated that its not available in drop down list when you are trying to select for your particular project type. Confirm that you have uploaded your template to the same PWA instance? in case you have more than 1 PWA instances provisioned.

Also ensure that your template is available to be used from PWA not from MSP, since there is a chance that you have uploaded to different PWA instance.

Go to PWA -> Server Settings -> Delete Enterprise object, make sure the first radio box (projects and etc.) is checked. and review the list below below, you can find all the project with the type project, except your project template as type template.

This will ensure that template is available within the same PWA. 

2nd thing you can verify is that default EPT cannot be associated with any template. so you have to ensure that the EPT you are trying to associate with template is not set as default. 

Hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:35 AM
  • Hi Treb,

thank you for your response.

No I didn't -  we don't seem to be set up that way....the only Enterprise Project Type in pwa is one called 'Basic Project Plan' - this is the always the first template availbale to be selected in the 'Project Template' drop list in every Dept. None of the other available templates are listed on the Enterprise Project Type page. I have approx 3 differant Departments who, depending on the type of project being run, can, on creating a new project, either select the 'Basic Project Plan' or a bespoke template from the 'Project Plan' drop list. None of these including the ones I have managed to successfully upload and use have been associated with the EPT.

Kind regards

Cate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Hi Michael,

please see my reply to Treb re EPT.

I am reffering to the Project Schedule template. Yes, I am expecting to see the template in the Create Project (I can see 2 there to select that I did manage to upload).

Kind regards

Cate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Hi Khurram,

Yes it is a project schedule template - there are approx 4 for this Department that will be selected as required in the Create Project page.

Yes I can confirm I am using the same instance of pwa.

I don't beleive I am trying to associate the default EPT with the project schedule templates as none that have been done previoulsy have been associated (no, the person who previoulsy uploaded them is not here to ask).

Many thanks

Cate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Hi all,

I seem to have fixded the issue - when I open a mpp file in MSP, I need to have macros disabled then Project Server will allow that file, saved as a Template to the Server to publish all the way thorugh and be available on the relevant department's 'Project Template' drop list. I have now uploaded all of my templates successfully!

Many thanks for your time.

Cate

• Marked as answer by CateB Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:44 PM