WHS- after reloading WHS I can see all the file but cant open them. RRS feed

• Question

• ·                                 I was working on a HP media server with WHS /server 2003 os. I inadvertently change a firewall setting that lock me out of the box and with no vga port I cant log in locally to change the setting back. The person that owns the server wanted to copy his data off the drive first before we restored the C:\ drive. I had issues copy the drive and finally got Norton to copy it to a new drive.

After restoring the OS, I can see all the file but when i try to open them they come up blank and I get a message saying that there was an error accessing the file. I can see the file and properties and tried taking ownership and resetting the permissions but no luck. I even ran check disk and it still does not fix it. I even put to old drive in and i have no problem accessing either portion but the data partition has the same problem. the strange part it I go to the sys partition and I can see all data and file content but not on the data partition.

Any clue on how to resolve this issue? We need the data bad!!!!

I even tried the Unix live cd.

Monday, October 25, 2010 3:11 PM

Answers

• Fond what i was looking for.

Artical (my server crashed help) had the solution.

x:\DE\Share

all the files are there

thatnks ken

• Marked as answer by Shanew76 Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:01 AM

All replies

• It seems fairly likely to me that "Norton" is involved in your issue somehow, but I'm not sure how. Rather than try to "solve" the issue, which might take quite some time (possibly days to figure out if it can be solved, since we don't have your server sitting in front of us and therefore can't do much analysis ourselves), consider following the instructions in this FAQ to recover your data (which should still be there) and then doing a factory reset. Do the data recovery first; factory reset will wipe the server clean.

Once you've finished the factory reset, you can copy your data back on to the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 25, 2010 4:34 PM
  • It actually started before Norton, I first tried Acronis, the one you can down load from Western digitals web site for copying disks but it error out. I tried live disk to copy the data and finally bought Norton witch was successful in copying. 

As far as Factory reset I started with a New  1Tb hard disk, then copied/cloned the data to the second partition and we now sit where we are. I have been working on it sense Thursday and normally don’t have this kind of trouble. Only if that dam system had a vga port. i now know i can bay a cable that plugs into the main board fro a monitor but don’t want to void the warranty, system is like 2 months old.

I even tried the regular copy before the clone of the second partition and still same result. I read somewhere that its has to due with permissions kind of like hen resetting a password with tried party soft ware but not as extreme. It’s a cryptic setting, but I only thought that was for encrypted folders. I have done a good number of data recovery any have a good record but this one stumps me never seen anything like it. it as though the file system thing someone hacked it and now has locked the files. Also the folders are set permanently to read only but I can create new folder and file within them. I ran check disk and no error.

I have not had this much trouble even with a Compaq PC that I loaded WHS on. I use that one as my sand box and see how far I can push it. I’ve reloaded that one several time, but its not the HP version of WHS either.   

Monday, October 25, 2010 6:04 PM
  • It's very likely that cloning the system disk led directly to your current situation. I would go through the recovery process in the FAQ I linked, then do a factory reset (not a server recovery).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:40 PM
  • I just thought of something after reading some other blogs.

I used a docking station for the HDD that is connected to my Win7 laptop so I could clone and access the drive via Live CD and other software like Norton and Acronis sence the HP media server has no CDrom or VGA ports.

Does Win7 change anything in the file table or file structure? I’m reading that it does, this is annoying if so. And if it did how can I reveres it? this is the first time i realy did this under win7. I have always used win 2k or XP in the past.

Monday, October 25, 2010 6:45 PM
  • I did a factory reset on the new drive first, the first attempt errord on step 3 after talking to HP support I was successful the second time. (Apparently I can’t read, LOL). Cable goes directly to server from PC.

I then attached that old drive to the server and tried to access the files, I can see them, but when I open them I get blank data. the files show the correct size and name but will not open correctly, this is only true with the DATA partition and not the SYS partition of the old drive. I then tried to copy past the files and no luck same thing. next I cloned the D:\ (DATA) partition and same issue.

I think when I pulled it out at the begin and put the original dick in the docking station and W7 saw it it changed some thing.

I wanted to do a restore from the beginning be he insisted that we try to copy the data off first even though there was like 0.1% chance of loosing the data. Now I think he is SOL but I don’t want to give up hope when i can see the files. Most of them are .jpg and Photoshop files. and they come up as unsupported format for the application opening the file with both the new drive and old drive. I tried opening them from a live CD and from UNIX, MAC, and Wxp, WVisa, and W7 all now have the same problem.

The only other thing i can think of is maybe the passwords were not exactly the same as before.

All this over a simple firewall setting change, blaa.

Monday, October 25, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Fond what i was looking for.

Artical (my server crashed help) had the solution.

x:\DE\Share

all the files are there

thatnks ken

• Marked as answer by Shanew76 Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Hi, I think I have the same problem. What was you're solution?

thnx dennis

Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:59 AM